Looking for some advice/insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firstgenmedstud

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!

Obviously as you can tell im a new member to the site and the main reason that I must say that I joined is that im a first generation med student meaning I dont really have anyhere to go at times for advice on certain things pertaining to med school and all the good stuff that comes along. At the same time I have been accepted into a few of the Podiatry schools which sometimes I wonder if it is really for me and if im wrong for having those thoughts at times. As some other pre-med students applying to med schools, my grades and MCAT scores werent where I would like for them to be and I was worried that if I applied to any of the other schools such as D.O. or M.D. schools I would have no chance to get in. Now that I have been looking around and doing a lot of research on the different types of schools and their minimum requirements it is basically too late because of the deadlines. So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what path I should take as far as 1) Go to the Podiatry School and forget about the others, being that it is a great opportunity and I will surely enjoy any medical profession as long as I am able to help others or 2) Bite the bullet and take a year off since ive missed the deadlines for the D.O. and M.D. schools and start applying for the entering class in the fall of '08, seeing as there are times when im not sure if I want to be limited to just Podiatry.....

If anyone has any advice, ideas or past experiences I am open to anything from an outside source at this point.... Because as I mentioned before, I AM a FIRST GEN med student and I cant exactly go asking around the family for help because no one will have any insightful information for me.

Thanks to all who have any info....

FirstGenMedStud

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone!!

Obviously as you can tell im a new member to the site and the main reason that I must say that I joined is that im a first generation med student meaning I dont really have anyhere to go at times for advice on certain things pertaining to med school and all the good stuff that comes along. At the same time I have been accepted into a few of the Podiatry schools which sometimes I wonder if it is really for me and if im wrong for having those thoughts at times. As some other pre-med students applying to med schools, my grades and MCAT scores werent where I would like for them to be and I was worried that if I applied to any of the other schools such as D.O. or M.D. schools I would have no chance to get in. Now that I have been looking around and doing a lot of research on the different types of schools and their minimum requirements it is basically too late because of the deadlines. So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what path I should take as far as 1) Go to the Podiatry School and forget about the others, being that it is a great opportunity and I will surely enjoy any medical profession as long as I am able to help others or 2) Bite the bullet and take a year off since ive missed the deadlines for the D.O. and M.D. schools and start applying for the entering class in the fall of '08, seeing as there are times when im not sure if I want to be limited to just Podiatry.....

If anyone has any advice, ideas or past experiences I am open to anything from an outside source at this point.... Because as I mentioned before, I AM a FIRST GEN med student and I cant exactly go asking around the family for help because no one will have any insightful information for me.

Thanks to all who have any info....

FirstGenMedStud

I would take the year off to do some shaddowing of different types of doctors so you can deside what you want to become. It sounds like you need to do some soul searching. No one else can tell you what profession is right for you. That is a decision you will have to take responsibility for on your own.

i agree with the post above

if you arent sure its for you, dont do it

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just a pre-pod, but I was thinking about MD for awhile too. If you are having doubts, I say wait a year and apply to the MD/DO programs. You never want to go through a 4 year program and the cost of it all to find out that you dont like it and always "I wonder if I would have gotten into MD". So first shadow podiatrists and see if you like it. I never had a pull for any other speciality in MD and was always like "i guess i'll just be a GP..." Once I found podiatry I was hooked, so I never even bothered applying to MD. If you are second guessing, you'll probably wonder about the "what if's". So just wait.

I would take the year off to do some shaddowing of different types of doctors so you can deside what you want to become. It sounds like you need to do some soul searching. No one else can tell you what profession is right for you. That is a decision you will have to take responsibility for on your own.

:thumbup: I agree 110%. Remember, this isnt a decision you want to rush in to just because admission deadlines are approaching. It will be a lifelong committment and should be something you think long and hard about. Shadow some docs like krabmas mentioned. Make certain this is what you want to do, then apply.

No one will be able to tell you what field of medicine to go into, only YOU can decide that. GL