Looking for some advice on when/where/if to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reaperx58

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to do this without typing a small novel, so we'll be doing bullet points.
  • Did full time PSEO at a CC during my junior and senior year of high school so I could be at home during the day to act as a caregiver for my father (early-onset Alzheimer's). Took mostly business classes, got crappy grades for two years.
  • Transferred to a branch campus of a larger university for a year, mostly psych/behavioral science classes, crap grades first quarter,mediocre the second, good the third.
  • Finally got to transfer to a real 4 year undergrad when my brother graduated and took over as primary caregiver while he worked on his MBA online.
  • Got mediocre grades for 3 years then finally removed my head from my rear-end and had a pretty good final year, 3.40 gpa both semesters.
  • Graduated in May 2013, have been acting as my father's primary caregiver again ever since, this time as a sort of part-time job. (His insurance provides $X per month to cover a "home health-care" worker.)
  • Started post-bacc stuff earlier this year. 4.0 GPA so far, but that's only over 7 hours from 2 classes and a lab. I will have 2 more classes and a lab done in early august for 6 hours and another class that will be done mid September for 4 hours. Shouldn't have any trouble getting A's, since all the classes I have to retake are the low level stuff. (I've got A's and B's in orgo/biochem/physics and C's in genchem :bang::bang::bang:)
  • With my last year of undergrad + post-bacc I've got an upward trend started, 3.52 over the past 37 hours (47 by September), but carrying 7 years of undergrad means my cGPA is going to stay crappy.
  • 30 MCAT (9ps,10v,11bs)
  • 32 hours shadowing, 16 DO, 16 MD; both primary care/family medicine. (Still actively looking around to add hours to this)
  • ~150 hours of research experience through my undergrad.
  • 100 hours community service volunteer (non-clinical).
  • I'm going through the enrollment process to volunteer at a local hospital and a nursing home, will start building those hours soon. (Also, I know it's not in a clinical setting, but I'm hoping the 5+ years of taking care of my father will be taken into account at least somewhat)
  • I have a DO letter from the guy I shadowed.
current stats: cGPA: 2.76/sGPA: 2.93
mid August: cGPA: 2.82/sGPA: 3.07
mid September: cGPA:2.86/sGPA:3.17

So, is applying this cycle possible or a pipe dream? If so, when and where would be best to do so? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply.

That does bring up an interesting follow up question, I'll have all my science re-takes done mid fall, but I've got nearly 200 hours of course work overall, so the only way that cGPA is going to budge in a reasonable amount of time is by re-taking some of the non-science classes. Is it going to look like I'm taking a bunch of fluff courses if the 3 or 4 most recent courses on my transcript are stuff like economics, geography, history, etc?