Looking for some insight for future application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needhe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to apply to MD and DO schools during the next cycle, mainly mid/south west schools. I have multiple LOR from DO, MD, DDS, professors, and advisers. ~100 hours of volunteer work and shadowing experience. Some research experience, no publications. And several EC associations, but no leadership in any.

Stats

2.73 oGPA
2.7 sGPA

I had a dramatic increase in gpa during my late junior and senior year of undergrad going from C's to deans honor role in 500 and 600 level courses.

24 MCAT

Currently in a SMP with a 4.0 GPA

I am an URM, being american indian, and I have seen the charts that show I have a ~50% chance of being accepted with my current stats; although that is hard for me to believe them. Currently looking at retaking the MCAT at the end of the summer.

My main question is what would my chances be with my current stats, and what MCAT score would make me competitive. I'm just trying to see if it would be worth the time and money trying to add studying for the MCAT on top of all my other studying.

Members don't see this ad.

The fact that you have a 50% chance of getting accepted with those stats astonishes me. You are nearly one gpa point and 7 MCAT points behind the average med school matriculant. I'd retake the mcat if I were you. Maybe get a 28 so you can have a 100% chance.