Looking for surgery videos for nurses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xmattODx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an optometrist currently working in the developing world. I work with an NGO that trains physicians to become eye doctors (1 year program) or ophthalmologists (1 + 3 year program). We also train nurses to become eye nurses (1 year program).

I'm only involved in the nursing program. We train nurses in basic eye care (diagnosis and managment of anterior segment problems, recognition and referral of posterior segment/complex problems), refraction, public health and operating theatre support.

Much of their education is practical but due to time constraints and types of patients available they may not be exposed to some types of surgeries prior to the completion of their training.

That said I am looking for surgical videos appropriate for nurses (helpful in teaching them their role during the surgery). Furthermore the videos should be suitable to the developing world. (i.e. they shouldn't use the latest and greatest surgical equipment).

I'm really just looking for less common surgeries. We see, obviously, a lot of catarcts so thats not necessary. We're looking for things like enucleation, evisceration, strabismus and retinal detachment (which we don't do at all here) surgeries.

I did a search of the forum and got some great ideas but I'm looking for even more choices!

Any ideas are welcome (from internet to DVDs for purchase, etc).

Thank you so much for your help.

Matt

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: