Looking for the right med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AT747

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to med school and I'm looking for a school that is not very competitive. I know there's NO such thing as an easy med school and indeed all of them are hard. But it is also true some schools are extremely hard and competitive than others. For instance, in some med schools there's a keen competition among the students and everyone is on their own. They believe " in real world you are on your own" In addition, In these schools if a student fails two classes in two years they kick him out. And I want to avoid these type of schools. On the other hand, in other schools everyone works as a team and help each other to learn. On contrary, they believe " in real world you work as a team with other members of the health team " and the best way to learn is to teach someone else. Although the instructors make sure that the students know what they need to know and they not gonna pass anyone unless the student knows those things that he's required to know. But at the same time the instructors not gonna make the students to learn everything because they believe it would be overwhelming and counter productive. Nor they make the test extremely hard. In addition, they pass out hand outs, provide their old tests, and most of the tests are based on their notes.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey AT747!

The qualities that you are looking for in a med school are ones that we all looked for when we applied. But...I do think that your approach is a bit flawed in the sense that you want to single out schools which have the reputation of being gentle( there really is no such thing btw!:D ) to their students. ALL med schools support their students during academic difficulties..but if a student just can't keep up, you have to realize that dismissal is a possibility. I think its pretty rare..but does happen. You will know which school is right for you when you go on interviews. Then you can narrow down among a couple (if you are lucky enough to get multiple acceptances) based on which one "feels" right. Remember..med school is tough..you don't get too many breaks when you are in..you do have to work hard..but on the upside your profs/admin know what you are going through and are happy to help you achieve your goals. Don't look for an "easy" school..because one doesn't exist. All schools have to teach you enough to not be a danger to your patients and be successful and that necessarily means lots of hard work.

i dont think theres an "easy" med school, but i'd say look at schools that have pass/fail.

nuclearrabbit

northwestern - 2006

P/F is very desirable, but if you can't get into a P/F school, H/P/F is a good system too. I go to Tufts and feel that people are not gunners here, and b/c there are no rankings whatsoever for the first two years people don't really compete with each other.