Looking for USUHS Grad who was currently serving when entered USUHS.....Questions about Contract upon graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Wife has been accepted to USUHS, she has 14 yrs in Army and is still Active Duty. Rank is far above O-3, understand she will be O-1 with save pay to maintain her current base pay while attending, BUT we are wondering how it will work once she graduates? What will she be, an O-3? Will she lose pay? Confused and getting mixed messages from varying sources. Would appreciate any USUHS grad who had current service upon entering and was higher than O-3 upon entry, would like to know your experience. Please message.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Wife has been accepted to USUHS, she has 14 yrs in Army and is still Active Duty. Rank is far above O-3, understand she will be O-1 with save pay to maintain her current base pay while attending, BUT we are wondering how it will work once she graduates? What will she be, an O-3? Will she lose pay? Confused and getting mixed messages from varying sources. Would appreciate any USUHS grad who had current service upon entering and was higher than O-3 upon entry, would like to know your experience. Please message.

Thanks.
DoDI 1312.03 and DoDI 6000.13 From memory - At USUHS graduation credited with 1/2 day for every day of non Health Professional Officer commissioned service prior to USUHS. It's common so someone will provide the timeline for promotion to Major and LTC with prior commissioned service.

Reactions: 1 user
DoDI 1312.03 and DoDI 6000.13 From memory - At USUHS graduation credited with 1/2 day for every day of non Health Professional Officer commissioned service prior to USUHS. It's common so someone will provide the timeline for promotion to Major and LTC with prior commissioned service.
Wife is already a LTC, 15 yrs in a HPO listed position, Liotta and Steerman tell us things have changed. That is why we are looking for a recent grad. Are you a recent grad?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wife is already a LTC, 15 yrs in a HPO listed position, Liotta and Steerman tell us things have changed. That is why we are looking for a recent grad. Are you a recent grad?

I think the bottom line is this: she'll be commissioned into the MC as either a senior O-3 (and likely make O-4 on the following cycle), or she might even be commissioned as an O-4. In either case, she'd become an O-4 rather quickly.

But then, she would have to serve as an O-4 in the MC for 5-6 years to screen and get selected for O-5. Even if she got some time credit for being an O-4 and was looked at early for O-5, she likely wouldn't make it, just b/c she hasn't been in the MC as an O-4 for that long (she might be a 2nd year resident, for instance).

So she'll make O-4 easily and possibly soon . . .but it'll be a while before she see's O-5 again in the MC.

I think the bottom line is this: she'll be commissioned into the MC as either a senior O-3 (and likely make O-4 on the following cycle), or she might even be commissioned as an O-4. In either case, she'd become an O-4 rather quickly.

But then, she would have to serve as an O-4 in the MC for 5-6 years to screen and get selected for O-5. Even if she got some time credit for being an O-4 and was looked at early for O-5, she likely wouldn't make it, just b/c she hasn't been in the MC as an O-4 for that long (she might be a 2nd year resident, for instance).

So she'll make O-4 easily and possibly soon . . .but it'll be a while before she see's O-5 again in the MC.
I appreciate your thoughts, however, we were informed she WILL pin O-5 at graduation, (hence things have changed), however, we are trying to find out how many yrs will get credited since she has served in a Health Professioons Role her entire career, this is a unicorn situation. I appreciate your insight but she WILL pin O-5, it its the yrs of service in question for us. Normally it would be 1/2 day credit for each day, but there is ambiguity in the reg regarding prior Health Profession roles. Also, with respect, you are Navy, we are Army. The contracts are not the same. Thanks.

she WILL pin O-5, it its the yrs of service in question for us.

Indeed, that would be a huge change, and would likely piss off many O-4s who are currently slugging it out in the MC trying to make O-5.

Make sure you have it in clear writing, especially if that's a deal breaker for you.

Indeed, that would be a huge change, and would likely piss off many O-4s who are currently slugging it out in the MC trying to make O-5.

Make sure you have it in clear writing, especially if that's a deal breaker for you.
LOL
Working on that, 15 years of service and want to make sure we approach this wisely.

I appreciate your thoughts, however, we were informed she WILL pin O-5 at graduation, (hence things have changed), however, we are trying to find out how many yrs will get credited since she has served in a Health Professioons Role her entire career, this is a unicorn situation. I appreciate your insight but she WILL pin O-5, it its the yrs of service in question for us. Normally it would be 1/2 day credit for each day, but there is ambiguity in the reg regarding prior Health Profession roles. Also, with respect, you are Navy, we are Army. The contracts are not the same. Thanks.
Not a USUHS Grad. They did tell you her BAH will be as an 01 while at USUHS? - that is not part of the Save Pay component.

Keep us updated on the outcome. I’d be interested to hear what happens.

Buyer beware though, it doesn’t matter what you get in writing all it takes is some new lawyer re-interpreting the regulation and all the sudden your paper is worthless. This happens way too often when it comes to service obligations, special pays, etc etc.

I've never even seen someone commission as an O-4 outta USUHS. (should be plausible, especially if someone came in with a lot of time). seen plenty commission as senior O-3s then put on O-4 (was my case)

Commissioning as an O-5 would be strange (you'd be an O-5 intern?) Also I don't think this could be Army specific. Would have to be tri-service. Many red flags here, tread cautiously.

I've never even seen someone commission as an O-4 outta USUHS. (should be plausible, especially if someone came in with a lot of time). seen plenty commission as senior O-3s then put on O-4 (was my case)

Commissioning as an O-5 would be strange (you'd be an O-5 intern?) Also I don't think this could be Army specific. Would have to be tri-service. Many red flags here, tread cautiously.
We got our answers from HRC, thanks for the insight, this thread can close. Wife will commission as an O-4 at graduation, we know how many yrs of credible service she will receive, and all questions have been answered.

Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.