Looking for Views, What do u think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2pac

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN members,

I have been reading the postings on SDN from a long time. First of all Yah! to all the people who were accepted this year as first year Dental students for the year 2005. I am an applicant but never recieved an interview, I applied in September and my application was recieved by the schools in November. Here is my honest situation. I wonder all the time where I stand. May be you guys can help me.

I have a BS in Biomedical Engineering and 2 Master degrees one in Human Factors Engineering and other in Business

GPA BS: 2.7
MS: 4.0
MBA: 3.58

The reason behind the bad undergrad GPA is because of low nonscience GPA which was a 2.3, I know!!

DAT scores:

AA BIO INOR OR RC QR PAT TS
17 19 18 18 14 17 15 19

Please give me an honest view, I have already taken my DAT's and improved my scores by one point in TS and rest remained the same. I am getting ready to graduate in June from both the Masters degrees. I worked very hard and hoping for results. It was hard for me to manage to take DAT with work anf full time load of classes. My application is under review in NYU and a couple of other schools. Too bad I didn't apply at Boston Uni.

I thankyou for your time.
respectfully,

2pac-

Members don't see this ad.

2pac said:
Hello SDN members,

I have been reading the postings on SDN from a long time. First of all Yah! to all the people who were accepted this year as first year Dental students for the year 2005. I am an applicant but never recieved an interview, I applied in September and my application was recieved by the schools in November. Here is my honest situation. I wonder all the time where I stand. May be you guys can help me.

I have a BS in Biomedical Engineering and 2 Master degrees one in Human Factors Engineering and other in Business

The reason behind the bad undergrad GPA is because of low nonscience GPA which was a 2.3, I know!!

DAT scores:

17 19 18 18 14 17 15 19

Please give me an honest view, I have already taken my DAT's and improved my scores by one point in TS and rest remained the same. I am getting ready to graduate in June from both the Masters degrees. I worked very hard and hoping for results. It was hard for me to manage to take DAT with work anf full time load of classes. My application is under review in NYU and a couple of other schools. Too bad I didn't apply at Boston Uni.

respectfully,

2pac-

wow, i am surprised you have not heard back...IMO, you have a ton to offer. The undergrad gpa means squat compared to your other two. And your DAT is alright, its not great, but certainly not bad. Let me ask you, where did you apply besides nyu?

crazy8 said:
wow, i am surprised you have not heard back...IMO, you have a ton to offer. The undergrad gpa means squat compared to your other two. And your DAT is alright, its not great, but certainly not bad. Let me ask you, where did you apply besides nyu?

I applied to 9 different schools
Arizona
Ohio state
Case
Marquette
Meharry
Howard
NYU
Louisville
Virginia

I got rejected from the first five- still waiting from others. You know with my masters I have even managed to take graduate level biology classes like: Human Biology, Immunology, Endocrinology, Intercellular communication, etc etc. Next quarter is my last quarter.

Members don't see this ad :)
2pac said:
Hello SDN members,

DAT scores:

17 19 18 18 14 17 15 19

respectfully,

2pac-

Your GPA is awesome and DAT is good too. The only thing is that some schools have a 15 cut off point for each section and the 14 on your RC may be a big problem. I would contact the schools you applied to and see what the hold off is. Maybe you can consider retaking you DAT. With your GPA, if you have to apply next cycle, and if you do better on your DAT, you will pretty much be guarenteed to get into some top schools. GOOD LUCK! I know how it feels to have to retake the DAT . I did it today lol.

2pac said:
I applied to 9 different schools
Arizona
Ohio state
Case
Marquette
Meharry
Howard
NYU
Louisville
Virginia

I got rejected from the first five- still waiting from others. You know with my masters I have even managed to take graduate level biology classes like: Human Biology, Immunology, Endocrinology, Intercellular communication, etc etc. Next quarter is my last quarter.

hmmm... well I do not know much about your remaining schools but, I do know that NYU makes offers late. I would suggest you call the schools up to see where you stand...certainly won't hurt you.

Dentist 2 be said:
Your GPA is awesome and DAT is good too. The only thing is that some schools have a 15 cut off point for each section and the 14 on your RC may be a big problem. I would contact the schools you applied to and see what the hold off is. Maybe you can consider retaking you DAT. With your GPA, if you have to apply next cycle, and if you do better on your DAT, you will pretty much be guarenteed to get into some top schools. GOOD LUCK! I know how it feels to have to retake the DAT . I did it today lol.
Thanks for reply,

I would truly consider taking the test but that would be my third time. I got a 17 in RC when I took it last time. I hope you did well in your test as well.

regards-

have you considered taking Kaplan to help with your dat scores? That seems to be the only thing "holding" you back, although they're not awful. I took kaplan and it really helped me.

tam0026 said:
have you considered taking Kaplan to help with your dat scores? That seems to be the only thing "holding" you back, although they're not awful. I took kaplan and it really helped me.

definitely take the course if things do not work out this time around. I bet NYU comes in for you though.

all the best and good luck!
crazy8

To the OP: I agree with those who have said you have a lot to offer. What is different about your situation is that although you have poor undergraduate grades, you've purused additional degrees and done fine in them.

It seems like you'd be a good addition to any dental school class, just from your unique educational background.

Good luck!

2pac said:
Thanks for reply,

I would truly consider taking the test but that would be my third time. I got a 17 in RC when I took it last time. I hope you did well in your test as well.

regards-

Then maybe you just had some tough passages this time. If you got a 17 last time then maybe they will overlook it. You are definetly a great candidate. Just call the schools. NYU should definetly be out to get you. They just take so damn long to respond.

I got an 18/18/16 (AA/TS/PAT) by the way. I'm happy with my score. I improved from a 17/16/15. Take care and GOOD LUCK to you!

I'm surprised you got rejected from Meharry and that you haven't heard anything from Howard and NYU. Howard & Meharry have the lowest stats of all the dental schools in the country. (2003-2004 Dental Schools Stats)

I'm not sure if this is true but I heard you shouldn't take DAT more than two or three times. I guess after three or more tries at DAT, they can somehow foreshadow how you would struggle with the dental school academics as you did with DAT, causing a big red flag to the admission committee, or perhaps make you come across as "slow." (Amy Knowles told us at the Open House how they accepted people with learning-disabilities so if it's the "slow" problem, it shouldn't matter.)

I'm sure the schools will look at both of your DAT scores and see how you did on RC the first time and fell short the second time around, and do the same for the improved ones as well. I guess it's something to consider though.

Call NYU and Howard, and find out what's going on but I'm pretty sure that you will get into Howard or NYU. NYU has more than 268 seats to fill this year so your chance with NYU is pretty high.

Good luck and remember to call their a s s up.

SadSmile said:
I'm surprised you got rejected from Meharry and that you haven't heard anything from Howard and NYU. Howard & Meharry have the lowest stats of all the dental schools in the country. (2003-2004 Dental Schools Stats)

I'm not sure if this is true but I heard you shouldn't take DAT more than two or three times. I guess after three or more tries at DAT, they can somehow foreshadow how you would struggle with the dental school academics as you did with DAT, causing a big red flag to the admission committee, or perhaps make you come across as "slow." (Amy Knowles told us at the Open House how they accepted people with learning-disabilities so if it's the "slow" problem, it shouldn't matter.)

I'm sure the schools will look at both of your DAT scores and see how you did on RC the first time and fell short the second time around, and do the same for the improved ones as well. I guess it's something to consider though.

Call NYU and Howard, and find out what's going on but I'm pretty sure that you will get into Howard or NYU. NYU has more than 268 seats to fill this year so your chance with NYU is pretty high.

Good luck and remember to call their a s s up.

I am really appreciative for good feedback from such caring and supportive friends like yourself( I mean everybody in SDN).

Regards-

Dentist 2 be said:
Then maybe you just had some tough passages this time. If you got a 17 last time then maybe they will overlook it. You are definetly a great candidate. Just call the schools. NYU should definetly be out to get you. They just take so damn long to respond.

I got an 18/18/16 (AA/TS/PAT) by the way. I'm happy with my score. I improved from a 17/16/15. Take care and GOOD LUCK to you!

GOOD job,

Dentist to be. I am happy for you. You know I really have to admit there is a positive energy in the air. You know I will let you guys know about my admission status soon. This is how things are done, "we help each other and everybody will achieve their goals".

Thanks again for the comments and moral support-
2pac- :thumbup:

2pac I'm shocked! Your unique background and a will should get you into at least one school from your list, like NYU.

I think you have two negative things that might keep you off getting accepted: applied late and 14 on o-chem. People with lower stats have better chances of getting accepted if applied early.

Don't get discouraged and don't give up, man!!! Taking DAT twice is a very good indication of a strong will :thumbup:

Good luck!

I was looking at the dental stats site... & I'm confused. How can it be possible, that an accredited U.S. dental school that trains future dentists, have a DAT avg of (AA/PAT) 15/14 for their accepted students ? Im usually not much of a snob...but it seems like these students will have a hard time passing boards, if they score 15/14 on the DAT. Anyone else confused?

DDS2BE said:
2pac I'm shocked! Your unique background and a will should get you into at least one school from your list, like NYU.

I think you have two negative things that might keep you off getting accepted: applied late and 14 on o-chem. People with lower stats have better chances of getting accepted if applied early.

Don't get discouraged and don't give up, man!!! Taking DAT twice is a very good indication of a strong will :thumbup:

Good luck!

Dear Bro/Sis,

I donot have 14 in OC, I have 14 in RC. I have an 18 on OC. In fact when I took it last time I got a 23 on OC. I thought I should point that out.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Sincerely-
2pac-

2pac said:
Hello SDN members,

DAT scores:

17 19 18 18 14 17 15 19

respectfully,

2pac-

Is there anybody on this site who managed to get admission with my kind of stats. You know I wonder sometimes about the Standard Deviation. e.g. NYU takes 250ish students and do all of the students have a GPA of 3.0 and above and DAt of 18 and above. When I talked to Ms. Amy Knoles today she told me that they are looking for 18 and above score. I personally believe that GPA ranges from 2.7-4.0 but then I donot have an interview :laugh:

2pac-

JakeMUSC said:
I was looking at the dental stats site... & I'm confused. How can it be possible, that an accredited U.S. dental school that trains future dentists, have a DAT avg of (AA/PAT) 15/14 for their accepted students ? Im usually not much of a snob...but it seems like these students will have a hard time passing boards, if they score 15/14 on the DAT. Anyone else confused?

Could you please send us the link to the site