Looking for volunteering/shadowing/EC opportunities during COVID!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiouspremed34

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm currently a third year undergrad looking for any way that I can do something useful and rewarding to do during this COVID pandemic in the Toronto or Ontario area. I've been looking online for virtual positions, as well as anything I could do in person, but haven't had much luck in terms of being offered any such position (despite having applied and emailed over 50 different ones). I'd be interested in helping with mentoring, tutoring, senior or youth support, health care, nursing home support, dog-walking, crisis hotlines, support hotlines, and things like that. If anyone has had any luck finding such virtual positions in Canada, or anything in person near Toronto or in Ontario, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know! :)

I'm really just looking for a way to help - I have a lot to give and just want someone to give me the chance to do something!

Members don't see this ad.

anxiouspremed34 said:
Hey guys! I'm currently a third year undergrad looking for any way that I can do something useful and rewarding to do during this COVID pandemic in the Toronto or Ontario area. I've been looking online for virtual positions, as well as anything I could do in person, but haven't had much luck in terms of being offered any such position (despite having applied and emailed over 50 different ones). I'd be interested in helping with mentoring, tutoring, senior or youth support, health care, nursing home support, dog-walking, crisis hotlines, support hotlines, and things like that. If anyone has had any luck finding such virtual positions in Canada, or anything in person near Toronto or in Ontario, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know! :)

I'm really just looking for a way to help - I have a lot to give and just want someone to give me the chance to do something!
Hmmm, do you have any idea why you aren't getting any offers? Maybe bring your resume over to your school's tutoring center and see if they can give you some advice, practice mock interviews, etc. Good luck.

Do you belong to a house of worship? If so, contact the leader and ask if there are people in the neighborhood/congregation that need help. Often religious leaders are "in the know" regarding the elderly and disabled who are homebound and who need help with tasks, etc.

If you've done any volunteering or shadowing in the area and know any health care providers, you might reach out to people you know in those positions and offer any services that might be needed by front line health care providers who aren't able to handle things they ordinarily do for themselves... dog walking, helping their kids with school work, gardening, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! I am trying to do stuff online but am based in the US, any tips would be great. Don't know how COVID situation will affect clinical experiences for UGs

Do you belong to a house of worship? If so, contact the leader and ask if there are people in the neighborhood/congregation that need help. Often religious leaders are "in the know" regarding the elderly and disabled who are homebound and who need help with tasks, etc.

If you've done any volunteering or shadowing in the area and know any health care providers, you might reach out to people you know in those positions and offer any services that might be needed by front line health care providers who aren't able to handle things they ordinarily do for themselves... dog walking, helping their kids with school work, gardening, etc.

I've been doing things like this for the last 10 years, almost always informally, and sometimes it was the only "EC" I could do as a young mom with no childcare available. Is any of that something I can include in my app in any way? How? I've always thought that the academic world would discriminate against me because I'm a stay at home mom, so I hate talking about any of that stuff. And there is no way to confirm any of those experiences.

I've been doing things like this for the last 10 years, almost always informally, and sometimes it was the only "EC" I could do as a young mom with no childcare available. Is any of that something I can include in my app in any way? How? I've always thought that the academic world would discriminate against me because I'm a stay at home mom, so I hate talking about any of that stuff. And there is no way to confirm any of those experiences.

If you belong to a house of worship, someone in a leadership position in the group may be able to vouch for your activities.

Reactions: 2 users