Looking to change my last name as a guy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FIREitUP

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to change my last name but I'm not sure when the best time would be. I'm almost at the end of my third year and I'm hesitant to do it now because I don't want there to be issues while applying to residency. I know I should probably do it prior to graduation so I can get my new last name on my diploma. When do you think the best time for me would be to change my last name?

Members don't see this ad.

Is your last name Hedgeh?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Change it to Prime, please.

[First name] Prime
Dr. Prime
:cool:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Doom

Reactions: 4 users
Did you get married and choose to change your name to hers?..............................

Beta

Reactions: 12 users
Just sitting here waiting for my actual name to show up as a joke on this thread. ...

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The best time is now. It can only be more difficult later.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about your future doctor name? :)

I think it's awesome. I chose it so if I end up hating it later it's my own damn fault.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I'm looking to change my last name but I'm not sure when the best time would be. I'm almost at the end of my third year and I'm hesitant to do it now because I don't want there to be issues while applying to residency. I know I should probably do it prior to graduation so I can get my new last name on my diploma. When do you think the best time for me would be to change my last name?
I have changed my name before. It doesn't take long. One week at max. Change your social security, driver's license, passport, credit cards, and notify all schools that you have attended previously. Do it as soon as possible. Try to have it changed before you apply. If you can't just send in the name change court order to the application service whenever you get it and they will take care of it for you. Remember to notify your LoR writers too.

Dr. Pain

or Payne if you prefer it to be less obvious.
Dang it, stole my thunder!

All to say, muchos agreeos.

lol i didnt realize i would get such ridiculous comments. my last name is really long and i always hated it. should i just change it now before i start applying or after i match?

lol i didnt realize i would get such ridiculous comments. my last name is really long and i always hated it. should i just change it now before i start applying or after i match?
Ah the ole chop chop. Too bad we don't have Ellis Island to do that for us long-last-namers anymore.

I'd do it before you apply for a license. Changing your name on a Medical license just seems like a nightmare.

My last name is also really long and confusing. I'll probably stick with it though. No idea when would be the best time to change it. I doubt it's a common situation.

Dr. Pain

or Payne if you prefer it to be less obvious.

I have a friend whose last name is "Justus" (he pronounces it like "justice").

He's working towards a PhD and has a brother that may be going into law.

Dr. Justus and Judge/Justice Justus.

Dr. No.

I knew a kid whose last name was "No"...he wanted to go into medicine. I'm not sure if I should have called MI6.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a classmate who changed his first and last name end of 2nd year. In that case he thought his name sounded too foreign/Middle-eastern. His new name was pretty kick-ass but I will not reveal it out of respect for his privacy. It has been a while so I've actually forgotten his original name.

Your transcripts and Step 1/2 score report will have your old last name on it which may cause some confusion when applying to residency. Do you want to use the new last name during interviews? If so, find out how long the process takes. If it is a matter of a few months, do it now. If longer than that, it may make your application process complicated.

i could never change my name, even if it was Dr. Anna Lee

change it to Doctah

Dr. Doctah!

I think it would be so sweet if a guy changed his last name to mine.

I had a classmate who changed his first and last name end of 2nd year. In that case he thought his name sounded too foreign/Middle-eastern. His new name was pretty kick-ass but I will not reveal it out of respect for his privacy. It has been a while so I've actually forgotten his original name.

Your transcripts and Step 1/2 score report will have your old last name on it which may cause some confusion when applying to residency. Do you want to use the new last name during interviews? If so, find out how long the process takes. If it is a matter of a few months, do it now. If longer than that, it may make your application process complicated.

That's sad :(

This is not true universally. Perhaps in your state, it works like that, but as someone who recently changed her name, I can tell you that the process from start to finish took close to 6 months.....
My state is just awesome then. I scheduled and did the fingerprinting and court hearing on the same day. It was just a walk-in kinda thing. No background check needed. They handed me the court order immediately and I used that to change all my documents within the week.

Lucky me.

KFC.comlicense.jpg

I've got to say, there are a fair number of Persian names that don't work in English. At all.

Example:
Negar (Persian girl's name)
Anais (Persian girl's name)

I know people that changed them as soon as they turned 18...

I've got to say, there are a fair number of Persian names that don't work in English. At all.

Example:
Negar (Persian girl's name)
Anais (Persian girl's name)

I know people that changed them as soon as they turned 18...

Rofl...I'm persian and I'll add another to that...

Mahboobeh (Persian girl's name)

Posted using SDN Mobile