Looking to Shadowing an Anesthesiologist in NYC over Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quizzical

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, though I'm only a medical student still going through the preclinical courses, I've searched around SDN and gained an interest in anesthesiology. I understand that because my training so far has been very limited, there is no way that I can fully know if anesthesiology is what I want to do.

With that said, I will be having a break this summer May-August and I would like to take the opportunity to shadow an anesthesiologist, but I'm not quite sure how to go about this. I was wondering if anyone here or knows of someone who would possibly be willing to be a mentor?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any faculty Anesthesiologists at your school? What about husbands/wives of faculty? Is your school associated with a teaching hospital? Is there a student branch of the ASA at your school? The wife of the faculty advisor of the Anesthesiology student interest group at my school allows students to shadow her. I shadowed her in outpatient ENT in July, and am shadowing one of her colleagues in the cardiac OR tomorrow. You've got plenty of time before your summer break, so explore those aforementioned avenues and see if you can make any contacts.

Good questions. There's no associated teaching hospital because we're only getting our first two years of preclinical training. After that we match into a "real" medical school and complete the clinical years. So we don't have much in terms of faculty/ASA clubs.

But I'll definately try asking around.