Looking to Transfer: KMCIC-AUA Twinning to US Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuraglia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm studying at Kasturba Medical College International Center in Manipal, India. It's a program that twines with the American University of Antigua in the Caribbean Islands.

I had a traumatic experience here and the staff here gave me a lot of trouble. I completed my first semester of Pre-Basic Sciences here and I'm in my second semester now. I really want nothing more than to go to the United States and study, where I can have the support of my family.

I was hoping to look at some programs in the tri-state area which include the same merit as the one I'm in; where I can directly go through the program without the additional stress of possibly being shut out after pre-med. I've heard of them many times before, but always had an interest in studying medicine here.

Otherwise, any other viable options would certainly help me out.

I wanted to ask for some tips and advice. Please, no negative remarks. I'm shaken up as it is, and all I really want is some help in taking this step.

Members don't see this ad.

Your post doesn't make sense to me.
Are you a US citizen studying in India? Are you an Indian student studying in the Caribbean?
What do you mean by the "tri-state area"? There are many "tri-state" areas in the US.
Do you have an undergraduate degree from a US university? What is your age? What motivated you to pursue medical school?

The tri state area usually means NYC, CT, and NJ- more specifically NYC and its commuter suburbs.

Members don't see this ad :)
perhaps if you are from NYC or NJ...but I assure you there are at least a couple of other "tri state" areas.

Your post doesn't make sense to me.
Are you a US citizen studying in India? Are you an Indian student studying in the Caribbean?
What do you mean by the "tri-state area"? There are many "tri-state" areas in the US.
Do you have an undergraduate degree from a US university? What is your age? What motivated you to pursue medical school?

I'm a US citizen studying in India.

I've been grown up to only know of the NY, NJ, and CT (sometimes people I've known consider PA instead) area as the tri-state area.

I don't have an undergraduate degree yet. I've only just started my post-secondary education. I'm currently enrolled in my second semester of Pre-Basic Sciences.

I grew up with many relatives who entered the medical field as health care professionals. My mother, a nurse, and my grandfather, a now retired doctor, both especially inspired me to choose this path. Growing up, I learned many simple things about medicine and nothing else interested me very much. I wouldn't prefer to study in any other field.

Many of the greatest and most well-respected doctors in my community studied in India. I thought of this as an opportunity, but I'm simply having a difficult time adjusting to my surroundings. I only decided on transferring after a fire occurred in my dorm room (plus I dealt with a very difficult staff) and after getting very sick here multiple times (I'm still attempting to recover from salmonella).

I've already contacted a community college near my hometown. I've decided to transfer there for perhaps a semester, or two at the most, while I explore the universities in NY (something I should have done better in high school, but better late than never).

I studied Chemistry I, English I, Biology I, and Pre-Calculus in my first semester. I'm currently studying Chemistry II, English II, Biology II, Calculus, and Statistics.

Thank you.

I know there are many excellent doctors who trained in India, but I think you will do much better (now/currently) by trying to go to med school in the US if that is where you want to practice. The situation now is a lot different than it was years ago, when the number of US medical schools and med students was kept quite low and more foreign trained doctors could enter the US to get residency every year. That is why a lot of middle aged doctors might tell you it's OK to study abroad. However, if you get advice from younger doctors or just look on this message board (like in the Caribbean medical schools forum, etc.) you will see that you could get into some problems trying to come back here later for residency.

It seems like you have a strong interest in the medical field, and you've only been abroad for maybe 1 year or less studying. Why don't you try to attend one of the schools in the New York or New Jersey areas that has a good premedical program, or has a linkage program with a medical school(s). You won't really save that much time by trying to go to medical school in India, and you risk not being able to find a residency, and as you said there might be other problems (culture shock, food poisoning, etc.). You only spent 1 or 2 semesters, you can chalk this one up to experience, an interesting experience that you had, and move on from here.