Lookism in med school admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

🙁

Aren't they just using that same study that's been kicking around SDN for months about overweight/obese residency applicants?

Didn't actually read the article.
 
Tfw Need to get PS to match PS

You can look like Dr. 90210 himself, Dr. Roberto Rey:

dr-robert-rey-post.jpg


He is holding penile implants in that picture, btw.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not really. Notice no ceiling in physical attractiveness in med school or beyond. Happily no real floor either.

That just says that neither good looks nor bad looks are completely debilitating to a well qualified applicant. It doesn't tell you whether being pretty can hold you back or help you materially.
 
There were NFL cheerleaders and MMA contenders in my med school class, in addition to regular frat/sorority inmates, and looks-indifferent nerds such as myself. If you’ve got the application chops, looking decent is no handicap, I’d defy anyone to prove otherwise. But it doesn’t mean you have to be gorgeous either if you’ve got the same credentials. In fact it doesn’t matter really at all. Source: I review applications and have participated in selection processes.
 
There were NFL cheerleaders and MMA contenders in my med school class, in addition to regular frat/sorority inmates, and looks-indifferent nerds such as myself. If you’ve got the application chops, looking decent is no handicap, I’d defy anyone to prove otherwise. But it doesn’t mean you have to be gorgeous either if you’ve got the same credentials. In fact it doesn’t matter really at all. Source: I review applications and have participated in selection processes.
I've got students who look like the stepped out of a Playboy centerfold or an Esquire cover, and others who look like they jumped out of a Steven King novel.
 
I'm overweight. I know many people view overweight people as lazy or lacking willpower, which isn't the case for me. Will that hurt me when it comes time to interview? In case it makes a difference (if schools ask about it), the weight is from an eating disorder that resulted from child/adolescent abuse. The eating disorder is in check, but losing weight has not been my priority.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm overweight. I know many people view overweight people as lazy or lacking willpower, which isn't the case for me. Will that hurt me when it comes time to interview? In case it makes a difference (if schools ask about it), the weight is from an eating disorder that resulted from child/adolescent abuse. The eating disorder is in check, but losing weight has not been my priority.

The school will not ask you why you are overweight.
 
Sorry if this isn’t you you won’t be a doctor.


Or just do what 2 of my classmates did and include your dog in your headshot so no one is looking at you
 
Can’t hurt to be hot

This reminds me back when I was a wee resident and sat on the committee for my $0.0002 cents of opinion. There was this one student who we all found to be equally annoying and absolutely worthless, but thought she was hot stuff (as a student I mean). Her picture was a professional almost glamour type headshot. We all fell out of our chairs laughing, then looked at the picture again then kept laughing some more. Needless to say we trashed her application.
 
This reminds me back when I was a wee resident and sat on the committee for my $0.0002 cents of opinion. There was this one student who we all found to be equally annoying and absolutely worthless, but thought she was hot stuff (as a student I mean). Her picture was a professional almost glamour type headshot. We all fell out of our chairs laughing, then looked at the picture again then kept laughing some more. Needless to say we trashed her application.

What do you mean by this? What was wrong with her pic?
 
I've been dieting. Partly because I gained weight because of the MCAT but also to look good for interviews. People subconsciously treat attractive people better.
This! I'm hoping to lose at least 10/15 pounds before my first interview (thanks for nothing, MCAT stress eating!). We got this, @Sunbodi.

Then again, I know some people who aren't gorgeous at T20s...so I don't think it's their top priority at the adcom table haha
 
While everyone's mugshot looked exactly like that or a passport picture. Hers was almost glossed over, hair slightly blowing, significant makeup. Taken together with what we know about her personality we couldn't stop laughing.

lol. Have you ever seen any other odd pictures? I have heard of adcoms seeing people in tank tops or doing "unprofessional" things in their pictures.
 
While everyone's mugshot looked exactly like that or a passport picture. Hers was almost glossed over, hair slightly blowing, significant makeup. Taken together with what we know about her personality we couldn't stop laughing.

What was wrong with her personality?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What was wrong with her personality?

She barely knew her patients, never finished her work on time. Didn't make an effort. But she carried herself like she was a princess. Despite the fact she couldn't get in on time to do her work, her makeup (heavily applied) and hair were perfect every day. Not bad enough that anybody failed her (failing a student is actually hard work, you get a call from the PD, the Dean, etc). but the comments written about her were amusing.
 
Just wanted to give a weightloss tip. Intermittent fasting has been helping me lose weight pretty consistently.

I've been losing around 2 lbs per week and I've still been able to eat the same foods just during restricted hours.

Only 2 more lbs left until I'm at my pre-MCAT weight with intermittent fasting.