This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SpoiledMilk

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello SDN,

Non-traditional applicant here. Who should I get a LOR from, a doctor at the current hospital I volunteer at who superficially knows me or a former supervisor (over tens years ago)?

From my research on SDN, LORs from doctors are "DOA" to Adcoms. Is this an accurate assessment?

I am leaning toward asking only my ex-supervisor and not the doctor. Or should I just attempt to get both although I think the one from the doctor might be very general which might be worse than not having one at all?

Thoughts would be appreciated, esp. from @Goro, @gyngyn, @LizzyM, @mimelim

Thank you.