LOR advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my plan: I was going to have my evaluators write my letters and mail them back to me, sealed and with their signature written across the seal. Is this a bad idea?

Will AADSAS accept my LORs if I send them in even if they are unopened? What about the matching form that is supposed to be sent in with the letter? Do the evaluators need to fill anything out on that?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So this is my plan: I was going to have my evaluators write my letters and mail them back to me, sealed and with their signature written across the seal. Is this a bad idea?

Will AADSAS accept my LORs if I send them in even if they are unopened? What about the matching form that is supposed to be sent in with the letter? Do the evaluators need to fill anything out on that?

Thanks

If it remains seal, there should not be a problem. I did it for one of my LORs. The original never got to school (I went HPAQ route), so I hand delivered a sealed one.

Not sure about the matching forms though, my prof. did it electronically.

Thanks

I believe that would work. However, I believe AADSAS allows you to have your evaluators submit letters electronically now )I don't know if it's e-mail, or if it's like the personal statement section on the application.

What I did for professors in the past is provide them envelopes that are addressed and ready to go, with everything filled out that I can, so they just had to write the letter, sign it, sign the back of the envelope and put it in the mail. That seemed to be the most convenient way, unless the electronic submission is possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, as long as they write the letter, sign the back and not write anything on the front all you would have to do is address the letter, put a stamp on it and send it. How are they going to know if the prof dropped it in the mailbox? Unless you go to school in CA and live in NY and they see the post mark. Even then, I doubt they would even notice. I've considered doing this because that way you are certain that the letters are sent. Profs have so much on their plate that they could forget, especially in June.

Honestly, as long as they write the letter, sign the back and not write anything on the front all you would have to do is address the letter, put a stamp on it and send it. How are they going to know if the prof dropped it in the mailbox? Unless you go to school in CA and live in NY and they see the post mark. Even then, I doubt they would even notice. I've considered doing this because that way you are certain that the letters are sent. Profs have so much on their plate that they could forget, especially in June.
What about the matching forms? Do they need to be sealed in the envelope too? I'm nervous about the electronic submission. I would prefer to have a few sealed copies at home in case one got lost. I hear this is not uncommon.

electronic is the only way to go from all the stories that I've heard.....it worked pretty well for me too....that way all u have to say is "get the letter ready, and when the link is sent, do your thing :) please" "as close to June.1 as possible :) thanks!"

and I might be wrong but i thought i read somewhere that it was processed faster by aadsas, which undoubtedly will be your "bottleneck" in the process

Last edited:
How does AADSAS know the email you provided for the LOR writers is actually real?

How does AADSAS know the email you provided for the LOR writers is actually real?

I'm sure they don't, but I wouldn't doubt that dental schools will check all the evaluators, just as an employer would with references provided by a job applicant. You may not jeopardize your chances of getting into dental school by cheating... just your chances of staying in dental school.

Having your LOR writers send the letters to you is just great. Collect them and send them all in at once in a big envelope. Paperclip each Matching form to each letter. If some would rather do it electronically thats wonderful, I would personally try to avoid interfolio and just do it the way aadsas likes.