LOR and the AMCAS primary.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schnauzr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've a question about whether sending in all the LOR's is required when you submit the AMCAS primary application.
I still haven't asked any of my prof's for a LOR,
I'm sort of waiting until the marks are up.

So how far can I go in the application process without submitting all the LOR's?
Can I finish the primary application?
Or can I even finish all the secondary applications?
Can I get interviews without LOR's?
Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

I've a question about whether sending in all the LOR's is required when you submit the AMCAS primary application.
I still haven't asked any of my prof's for a LOR,
I'm sort of waiting until the marks are up.

So how far can I go in the application process without submitting all the LOR's?
Can I finish the primary application?
Or can I even finish all the secondary applications?
Can I get interviews without LOR's?
Thanks a bunch.

Your LORs are completely separate from your primary app. So, yes, you can complete the primary app before you submit any LORs (check aamc website for info on when your primary can be submitted- sometime in June, I think).

Once you've submitted the primary app and it has been verified, it will be forwarded to all of the schools that you selected during the process of completing that app. Some schools will screen your app, others won't. When you receive the secondary application from each school, it will have information on how to go about submitting your LORs. Typically, they'll ask for 2 science and 1 non-science LOR from professors (not TA's, admin, etc.). Some schools (ex. USF) request 2 additional LORs from friends or someone who has known you for a number of years, but isn't family.

So- you don't have to submit LORs until AFTER you've submitted your secondaries. And your secondary apps aren't considered complete until your LORs are received. There may be a few exceptions (ex. Duke- they request LORs only after you've been invited for interview), but generally, you won't get any interviews w/o LORs and your secondary.