LOR Dilemma - advice, please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChopinLiszt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from undergrad a really long time ago, so no LORs there. I've been doing a DIY postbacc this year consisting of upper level science courses, and am planning on having 2 LORs from that. I don't have any employment related LORs.

Since last summer I've been volunteering once or twice a week as a Spanish medical interpreter at my town's free clinic, obviously hoping to get a letter from them. I don't know if I will get a strong letter from either of the NPs that I have worked with regularly, and the MDs that come in on occasion have only met me once or twice each.

One NP that I interpret for is always trying to talk me out of going to medical school in a really negative way. The other is generally cranky and told me today that she hasn't liked the way I've translated all along (basically she wanted me to translate every single phrase such as "how are you?" Even if the patient clearly understood and responded in English, etc.). The frustrating thing is that when I first started, she told me that she wanted me to follow her lead and that she would indicate to me if she wanted something translated or not, depending on the patient's understanding. Anyway, there's a weird, negative vibe now and even though I will try to do things the way they want them done (which changes!) I'm not confident in a good letter. I was banking on this being one of my LORs and now I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from undergrad a really long time ago, so no LORs there. I've been doing a DIY postbacc this year consisting of upper level science courses, and am planning on having 2 LORs from that. I don't have any employment related LORs.

Since last summer I've been volunteering once or twice a week as a Spanish medical interpreter at my town's free clinic, obviously hoping to get a letter from them. I don't know if I will get a strong letter from either of the NPs that I have worked with regularly, and the MDs that come in on occasion have only met me once or twice each.

One NP that I interpret for is always trying to talk me out of going to medical school in a really negative way. The other is generally cranky and told me today that she hasn't liked the way I've translated all along (basically she wanted me to translate every single phrase such as "how are you?" Even if the patient clearly understood and responded in English, etc.). The frustrating thing is that when I first started, she told me that she wanted me to follow her lead and that she would indicate to me if she wanted something translated or not, depending on the patient's understanding. Anyway, there's a weird, negative vibe now and even though I will try to do things the way they want them done (which changes!) I'm not confident in a good letter. I was banking on this being one of my LORs and now I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice?

From what you've said, I wouldn't use either of those NPs for letters.

Reactions: 1 user
Won't it look bad for me to have this long-term clinical volunteering experience and not have a LOR from it? Also, 2 LORs is not enough. I could maybe get one from a doc I've shadowed, but I've only spent a few days with each doc.