FistLength

7+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Never mind...got my answer!

Basically, from what I understand, first and second year letters are not very important?

Last edited:

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Never mind...got my answer!

Basically, from what I understand, first and second year letters are not very important?
If you have significant research experience that was productive and informs your specialty choice, then a LOR from a research advisor is reasonable. Otherwise, it's completely useless.

FistLength

7+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you have significant research experience that was productive and informs your specialty choice, then a LOR from a research advisor is reasonable. Otherwise, it's completely useless.
I am getting published with him, in the field that I am strongly considering. He was very supportive and would likely write a very strong letter. Thing is that I just started 2nd year, so I do not have ERAS to submit to. Do you think I should use interfolio to store the letter, and somehow upload it later? It was only summer research, but I worked full time and was able to accomplish above what he initially envisioned.

About the Ads

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I am getting published with him, in the field that I am strongly considering. He was very supportive and would likely write a very strong letter. Thing is that I just started 2nd year, so I do not have ERAS to submit to. Do you think I should use interfolio to store the letter, and somehow upload it later? It was only summer research, but I worked full time and was able to accomplish above what he initially envisioned.
Just have him write it now and then ask him to re-date it later if you decide to use it. You probably won't.

Reactions: FistLength
Mar 19, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If it's an academic programme and like others said, if it informs your specialty of choice, sure, go ahead with his letter. I would advise that you ask your advisor to write the letter now and when the ERAS season comes for you, he can re-date and upload the letter. Also, take a copy of that letter now too, just in case! I'm filling in ERAS now and getting my second year research letter uploaded.

About the Ads