LOR from a dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elemental951

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have a little problem pertaining to the LOR from a dentist some schools require. This past summer after my first year i shadowed/volunteered at my Uncles dental office. Although he is a relative, it was probably the best shadowing experience i think i could have gotten because he let me be really hands on (suctioning, being around patients, doing things around the office etc.) needless to say i learned a lot and i was there for 100+ hours. So should i find another dentist to shadow just so i could get another LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

So i have a little problem pertaining to the LOR from a dentist some schools require. This past summer after my first year i shadowed/volunteered at my Uncles dental office. Although he is a relative, it was probably the best shadowing experience i think i could have gotten because he let me be really hands on (suctioning, being around patients, doing things around the office etc.) needless to say i learned a lot and i was there for 100+ hours. So should i find another dentist to shadow just so i could get another LOR?
Is this Uncles biologically/blood related? (yes-or-no)

I don't think it matters if he's blood related or not, if he's your uncle, that's unfortunately going to be less credible in the eyes of adcoms. Im not blood related to my father-in-law (that would be weird) but I think that there would definitely be a conflict of interest if I tried to get a letter from him. If you can just put in a week with another dentist and get a letter from him/her instead, I think you'd be better off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get out a piece of paper and write his last name. Then write yours below it. Let me know if they're the same.

Do the schools to which you've applied specifically state that the recommending dentist can't be a relative? I know that some do, but I don't think that all schools have this requirement.

If they don't say that he can't be a relative, I don't think you're doing anything wrong if you simply don't divulge that information. He doesn't need to lead in with, "Dear sir and madam, Hello! I am writing to recommend XX, my very favorite niece/nephew."

I think that relative dentists should be able to write letters. I could see where, ESPECIALLY if it's Mom or Dad writing, there could be a huge bias. Maybe parents should be able to write them--but that's not to say that you wouldn't get exceptional experience at such a shadowing setup. Beyond that, though, I don't know why it wouldn't be fair game for other relatives to recommend you. I'm sure you got some awesome experience and learned a lot. Look into what the schools require for your letter and decide accordingly. :)

Plus... do you even have the same last name?
EDIT: LOL, Jeffity beat me to that question. :D

I don't think it matters if he's blood related or not, if he's your uncle, that's unfortunately going to be less credible in the eyes of adcoms. Im not blood related to my father-in-law (that would be weird) but I think that there would definitely be a conflict of interest if I tried to get a letter from him. If you can just put in a week with another dentist and get a letter from him/her instead, I think you'd be better off.
Pretty much. That too. Three degrees of separation is typically safe.

Here's my recommendation: I recommend the OP have his/her Uncles refer him/her to a colleague but not a competitor. After legit shadowing of this colleague, and if this colleague yields similar opinions that of the Uncles's, then have Uncles provide the colleague with Uncles's LOR as a baseline; this should expedite the process.

Get out a piece of paper and write his last name. Then write yours below it. Let me know if they're the same.
In some cultures maiden name(s) are kept throughout one's lifetime.

In some cultures maiden name(s) are kept throughout one's lifetime.

Okay. Is that just today's tip of the day? Is there something I'm missing here? Did the uncle used to be a woman? Is the applicant a woman?

Okay. Is that just today's tip of the day? Is there something I'm missing here? Did the uncle used to be a woman? Is the applicant a woman?
Hmmm..... what if Uncles was the brother to the mother of OP. hmmm..... :confused:

Well I haven't even applied yet for those of you asking. And yeah my uncle is my mom brother and I am a male. We have a different last name but my mom and him have the same one as my mom kept her maiden name