LOR from a Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

komradrobot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is this one?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
did you read it? aren't you supposed to waiver that? lol. anyway I would maybe ask another dentist you know equally well, assuming you didn't know this first dentist well since she wrote a generic letter. If you don't know anyone else, be as polite as possible when you ask her to rewrite!

Last edited:
My shadowing dentist is pretty awesome. He asked me what I wanted to include in the recommendation letter. I love him. :):):)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently working for 2 dentists, and both said they would be happy to write letters for me. But, I'm definitely not reading any of them (I have waived my right for all letters, period).

You might be fooling yourself if you believe her busyness has anything to do with writing you a lame letter.

How important is this one? I had a dentist write me one but it's pretty generic...shes pretty busy and/or really didn't know how to write a letter. I feel bad telling her to change it but it's pretty lame!
They just want to know you have had some exposure to the field of dentistry! I don't think it's that big of a deal. So, don't worry about it too much!

you guys are mean!

Let's see. You ask a "busy" dentist to write you an lor, she makes the time to write you and then you are not happy with what she wrote and to top it all you insult her and we are the mean guys?

Doc Toothache, you continuously crack me up! I go outta my way to read threads I have no interest in whenever I see you responded!

Anyway, in my situation, the LOR from a dentist was not that important. (Although, I am sure many have had much different experiences than I) I ended up having my general dentist write me a letter because the dentist I shadowed was diagnosed with alzheimer's and was unable to do so. The dentist who wrote the letter even admitted that he would have no idea what to write, since I was just a patient of his. I sent him my resume, and although I didn't read the letter, I am sure it was pretty standard...good grades, hard worker, blah blah...Anyway, I had no problems getting accepted the first time around, and didn't even have to address this situation in my interviews...

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame my dentist at all for writing a general LOR. I completely understand, and am just grateful he was willing to do so since my request kind of came out of no where!

Let's see. You ask a "busy" dentist to write you an lor, she makes the time to write you and then you are not happy with what she wrote and to top it all you insult her and we are the mean guys?

100% AGREE with Doc on this! I'm blessed to be working for two dentists, and both have agreed to write letters for me, and BOTH are busy. So, I'm thanking my lucky stars that they are even willing to write with their schedules, truly grateful.

i'm grateful i'm just concerned because its a generic letter i think it's a legitimate concern to have!

I'm sure it has some value. And some value in the sense, wow this kid didn't just make up those aadsas shadowing hours and actually got to know a dentist a little bit, or enough for them to take time to send out a letter....

I am also currently working for a dentist doing shadowing as well as other intern-type work around the office (filing, data entry, helping staff with their tasks). I have a very good relationship with the dentist and he basically said he'll sign any recommendation letter I write for myself. Is this good or bad? When a dentist writes a GOOD lor for an applicant, what usually goes into those lor's?