1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

LOR from CC professor?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shaggybill, Jun 3, 2008.

1. shaggybill

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Last fall and spring I took a very difficult A&P sequence at a community college. The professor/instructor (what is the difference?) was one of the best teachers I've ever had, but he definitely made us earn our grades. I worked my butt off for the class and pulled an A for both A&P I and II. The professor and I hit it off nicely and we spent a lot of time in his office discussing A&P, my goals and ambitions, etc. I think he'd write an excellent LOR for me. What do ya'll think? Recommend it or no?

2. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think that that sounds like a perfect person to have write a recommendation letter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ginzo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had an adjunct professor write one of my LORs because I knew it would be good. You should definitely get at least one LOR from a science professor at a 4-year school to accompany this one, but otherwise you should be fine.

4. OP
    OP
    shaggybill

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you both for your responses.

If I won't be applying until 2009, should I wait until next spring to ask for the LOR, or should I go ahead and ask for it now and have him upload it to a service like Interfolio (or maybe just keep the sealed envelope with me until next year)?

5. HolyGrail

HolyGrail A magnum opus suscipio
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm having one of my Community College professors write a LOR for me, he was an amazing professor, he is a great writer, and he's also been published. I don't see why you'd hesitate. Often times community college professors are better teachers than bigger University professors for two reasons:

1) Community college professors are hired for their ability to teach
    2) University professors are hired for their ability to do research and write grant proposals

6. HolyGrail

HolyGrail A magnum opus suscipio
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If your university has a service set up for your portfolio, then use the university service. If you don't feel that you'll be adding a huge list of accomplishments, then I'd ask sooner than later. It's always good to have them write it when it is fresh in their minds, especially if it was a positive experience!

7. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Definitely true. CC profs often know their students much better because (1) the classes are smaller on average than a big university, (2) the prof usually teaches the lab too, rather than a TA. I have taught at CCs and I definitely knew my students much better than my professors knew me when I was a student (at a university).

A strong, personal letter from a no-name CC professor is much better than a lukewarm form letter from a well-known researcher/professor.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...