LOR from CC professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaggybill

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last fall and spring I took a very difficult A&P sequence at a community college. The professor/instructor (what is the difference?) was one of the best teachers I've ever had, but he definitely made us earn our grades. I worked my butt off for the class and pulled an A for both A&P I and II. The professor and I hit it off nicely and we spent a lot of time in his office discussing A&P, my goals and ambitions, etc. I think he'd write an excellent LOR for me. What do ya'll think? Recommend it or no?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that that sounds like a perfect person to have write a recommendation letter.

I had an adjunct professor write one of my LORs because I knew it would be good. You should definitely get at least one LOR from a science professor at a 4-year school to accompany this one, but otherwise you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your responses.

If I won't be applying until 2009, should I wait until next spring to ask for the LOR, or should I go ahead and ask for it now and have him upload it to a service like Interfolio (or maybe just keep the sealed envelope with me until next year)?

I'm having one of my Community College professors write a LOR for me, he was an amazing professor, he is a great writer, and he's also been published. I don't see why you'd hesitate. Often times community college professors are better teachers than bigger University professors for two reasons:

1) Community college professors are hired for their ability to teach
2) University professors are hired for their ability to do research and write grant proposals

If your university has a service set up for your portfolio, then use the university service. If you don't feel that you'll be adding a huge list of accomplishments, then I'd ask sooner than later. It's always good to have them write it when it is fresh in their minds, especially if it was a positive experience!

1) Community college professors are hired for their ability to teach
2) University professors are hired for their ability to do research and write grant proposals

Definitely true. CC profs often know their students much better because (1) the classes are smaller on average than a big university, (2) the prof usually teaches the lab too, rather than a TA. I have taught at CCs and I definitely knew my students much better than my professors knew me when I was a student (at a university).

A strong, personal letter from a no-name CC professor is much better than a lukewarm form letter from a well-known researcher/professor.