LOR from CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it easier to obtain LOR from CC faculty? (easier access)

Members don't see this ad.

it's not easier just cuz they are from a CC. Usually depends on the person regardless of institution. but in my opinion, i wouldnt get one from a prof at a CC.

I agree....many schools don't like you to take prereqs at a CC, therefore a letter from a CC professor will likely be pretty meaningless to adcomms.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh, i was under the impression that schools don't care.

Dude, they don't care. If you get one from a CC prof, you might run into some anal adcom member who doesn't like it, but some schools don't put any real emphasis on your LOR's. Do it if it's easier.

I agree with Raider Nation. Think about it for a minute. A letter from a professor at a 4 year that has 150+ students and doesn't know you from adam. On the other hand you have the CC professor, who more than likely knows more than just your name, simply because of the student to teacher ratio. Now, who is more likely to write the letter just to get the thing done and who will do it and speak of a personal relationship? My experience has been that CC instructors are MUCH more interactive with students and are therefore better able to produce a better letter. Do you think adcomms is any different, for the most part?

Originally posted by Barry20
I agree with Raider Nation. Think about it for a minute. A letter from a professor at a 4 year that has 150+ students and doesn't know you from adam. On the other hand you have the CC professor, who more than likely knows more than just your name, simply because of the student to teacher ratio. Now, who is more likely to write the letter just to get the thing done and who will do it and speak of a personal relationship? My experience has been that CC instructors are MUCH more interactive with students and are therefore better able to produce a better letter. Do you think adcomms is any different, for the most part?

well said!!

While you may be able to get a strong letter from a CC prof, an equivalent letter from a university will be much more highly regarded by adcomms. It is not that hard to get a strong letter at a university even if it may have 400+ students per class.

I agree with Dr. benj

Tufts wanted a letter from a chem prof, and I took chem 4 years before that. I knew that my prof would not remember me, but I asked her for a letter anyway. She took out her records, and saw that I got an A in her class, after that she told me that she has no problem writing me a strong letter of recommendation.

Benj,

You may be right, in some cases. Some professors will give a strong letter without even knowing what you look like, simply because you have been strong in their class. Unfortunately, nothing they say will be at the level the adcomms is wanting, which includes as much about the personal characteristics as possible. I'm sure many of these professors have a templated letter that they just put in a different name, unfortunately. Not always the case, but it makes sense, right?

I do understand your point, though. All I can say is that I had 2 CC prof's give me recommendations and they were very personal and very strong. Each case is different. Good luck..

Benj,

You may be right, in some cases. Some professors will give a strong letter without even knowing what you look like, simply because you have been strong in their class. Unfortunately, nothing they say will be at the level the adcomms is wanting, which includes as much about the personal characteristics as possible. I'm sure many of these professors have a templated letter that they just put in a different name, unfortunately. Not always the case, but it makes sense, right?

I do understand your point, though. All I can say is that I had 2 CC prof's give me recommendations and they were very personal and very strong. Each case is different. Good luck..

Concur. The problem with getting a good LOR from a large university professor is twofold. First, you have to swindle the prof into writing the letter in the first place, then you have to establish enough of a relationship that the letter actually <em>means</em> something. Adcoms have been at this game for a long time, and form letters tend to give themselves away.

Benj,

....Some professors will give a strong letter without even knowing what you look like, simply because you have been strong in their class. Unfortunately, nothing they say will be at the level the adcomms is wanting, which includes as much about the personal characteristics as possible......

Not true, 2 of the 3 professors who wrote letters for me I knew very well and they included many things regarding my personality, character, integrity and inteligence. I believe this is exactly what adcomms are looking for. The fact that these profs are the chariman of the virology department and head of the zoology department with dozens of published papers on research that is revolutionary to science helps too. You are never going to get this kind of recommendation from a CC prof. I go to the second largest university in the country with over 50,000 students and I am still able to get letters like this. I'm sure this is not unusual. My point...get a university LOR if possible, but not if it is a cookie cutter letter, then a CC letter would probably be better, but nothing beats a personal letter from a well known university prof. Good luck everyone.

Benj,

Great job in getting those letters, they are rare. The letter you described is exactly what they are looking for. Lucky you. Unfortunately, you are one of a very few bunch that get this chance.

Thank you Barry.....best of luck to you.