LOR from DDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I did a significant amount of research during medical school with an orthodontist (D.D.S.). He certainly worked closer with me and knows me better than the M.D. attendings on that project and other projects. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding getting a very strong LOR from a DDS vs. getting an LOR that may not be as emphatic, but from an MD?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I did a significant amount of research during medical school with an orthodontist (D.D.S.). He certainly worked closer with me and knows me better than the M.D. attendings on that project and other projects. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding getting a very strong LOR from a DDS vs. getting an LOR that may not be as emphatic, but from an MD?

Thanks!

For a research letter, as long as it comes from a doctoral level person, it doesn't matter what doctorate that person has (MD, PhD, DDS, DVM, D. Phil., whatever). More important is that if anyone on the project is well known in the area you're applying, the letter come from them. It's often helpful to get the letter from the senior researcher on a project. But it doesn't really matter what the letters are after his/her name.