LOR from Director of Volunteer Services

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winner123

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
aPD,Please help!

I have an LOR from the Director of Volunteer Services at an American teaching hospital.This LOR has been issued to me based on the evaluations I got from my supervising Physicians during my observer rotations.
It mentions my performance as 'outstanding' based solely and clearly on the evaluations from all of my supervising Physicians.
Will such an LOR be of any use? Or, is it that I need to ask for an LOR directly from the supervising Physician?

(P.S : I worked with three US physicians during my two observer rotations.I got LORs from two of them,but not from the third Physician as I worked for only 15 days under him.At that time I thought that it would be inappropriate to ask for an LOR merely after a 15 days rotation.Now, his evaluations have too come out to be 'outstanding'.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In general, it would be better to have LOR's directly from physicians with whom you have worked. A summary letter is probably OK, although if the director of volunteer services is not a physician, that's less than ideal.

Overall, it would be better to have letters directly from the docs with whom you have worked, but what you describe is probably fine.

In general, it would be better to have LOR's directly from physicians with whom you have worked. A summary letter is probably OK, although if the director of volunteer services is not a physician, that's less than ideal.

Overall, it would be better to have letters directly from the docs with whom you have worked, but what you describe is probably fine.

Thanks for your prompt reply!
Let me quote the exact para from the LOR.It says :

"Dr. -------'s Volunteer Observer/ Interpreter Performance Appraisal Form indicates that his ability to understand directions, acceptance of supervision, follow-through on assignments, productivity, attendance and punctuality, interaction with patients,courtesy and attitude, cooperation with staff, accuracy and fluency of interpretation, medical knowledge, and overall contribution were outstanding."

Please comment.

Thanks again!
(PS: The Performance Appraisal Form is filled in and signed by the Supervising Attending Physicians.)​

Last edited:
That's way too generic of a letter to be of much use as a residency application LOR. I would strongly recommend getting LORs from the physicians you actually worked with.

That's way too generic of a letter to be of much use as a residency application LOR. I would strongly recommend getting LORs from the physicians you actually worked with.

Thanks for the reply!

There is another para I can quote ,so that u would be able to comment better.Here is the para:

"Dr
.------- was accepted to the Observership Program in the Department of Internal Medicine where he participated in doctors' rounds assisting the attending physician and residents with obtaining medical histories and physical examinations, presented cases,and attended conferences. In addition, after completing the Interpreters Training, he provided interpreter services to non-english speaking patients and family members and English speaking health care providers."

Does the above quoted para add some weight to the LOR?
Moreover,I accept yur advice about getting an LOR directly from the supervising physician.
Please reply.