LOR from DO resident..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaf208

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

So I know it is preferable for DO applications to include a LOR from a DO physician, and the only DO doc I know happens to be a 5th year resident. I've worked very closely with her in the hospital for the past 6 months and feel confident she would write me a strong letter (as she has already told me she would) but we both were wondering if it would be a problem that she is still a resident?

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Worked for me.

This is fine. Your writer is a physician since shes graduated med school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Worked for me too. The school prob had no idea it was written by a resident tho.

OK, thanks for the feedback guys! She was under the impression it might be a problem but apparently not. I'll go ahead and get her rec....now just need to finish this stupid personal statement

Worked for me too. The school prob had no idea it was written by a resident tho.

This.

I don't see why it would matter, they are a physician. Anyway, how are they going to know that they are a resident unless he/she signs their name:

John Smith, D.O.
Emergency Medicine Resident (or something of that nature -- how about they just leave this line off)

This.

I don't see why it would matter, they are a physician. Anyway, how are they going to know that they are a resident unless he/she signs their name:

John Smith, D.O.
Emergency Medicine Resident (or something of that nature -- how about they just leave this line off)
It's a common practice to provide information of writer's position in professional LOR. I have seen resident/attending co-write letter of rec, it will be much better than resident alone.
It just feels like post-doc writes LOR....... sometimes letter writter's position matters

I know some MD schools dont want resident letter.
Yes, THIS I know is true for a fact, but I've learned that for the DO letter in DO apps, it isn't true. My step-dad is on admissions board for an allopathic medical school and he said that, and I quote, "nobody will care what they have to say" (referring to residents writing LOR). However this situation is different. And I do think it's common practice to put credentials in a letter so that's why the schools would know.

However, the DO situation is apparently different so that's good

Yes, THIS I know is true for a fact, but I've learned that for the DO letter in DO apps, it isn't true. My step-dad is on admissions board for an allopathic medical school and he said that, and I quote, "nobody will care what they have to say" (referring to residents writing LOR). However this situation is different. And I do think it's common practice to put credentials in a letter so that's why the schools would know.

However, the DO situation is apparently different so that's good
does ur step dad need friend

Reactions: 1 user
i heard it's fine as long as they're not a first year resident