LOR from Doctor I shadowed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icydragon123

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in FL but am from Toronto. To make these visits productive, every time I went back home to visit, I shadowed a family physician. I did almost 100 hours of shadowing for him and we have a great relationship. He is willing to write me a LOR.

Can I use a Canadian MD LOR for my AMCAS application? Would this be beneficial? I also am focused in going into primary care.

My other choice is a DO in the US I did research for one semester. But I am not as close with him.

Members don't see this ad.

There are no MD schools that require, much less request a shadowing letter.
A few of them recommend a clinical letter (RFU, AZ and UT come to mind) for which a physician letter would apparently suffice. Do not waste a slot on a shadowing letter otherwise. Merely indicate the supervisor in your activities section with the supervisor as a contact.
DO schools do love a DO letter, though.

Reactions: 1 user
There are no MD schools that require, much less request a shadowing letter.
A few of them recommend a clinical letter (RFU, AZ and UT come to mind) for which a physician letter would apparently suffice. Do not waste a slot on a shadowing letter otherwise. Merely indicate the supervisor in your activities section with the supervisor as a contact.
DO schools do love a DO letter, though.
So should I get the LOR from the DO that I researched with instead? Even though it may not be as strong as the LOR from the physician I shadowed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Only if you're applying to DO schools....but why ask for a weak LOR?
It’s not a weak letter , just not as strong as the one from the family physician I shadowed. Do you think I should get a letter from the DO I did research with or the MD I have 100 hours of shadowing experience with? I also want to get into primary care

Only if you're applying to DO schools....but why ask for a weak LOR?

My only problem is that an ADCOM told me if you do research and don’t have a letter from the doctor or prof, then it’s a red flag

Maybe for MD/PhD programs. The research powerhouses? Harder to get inside their heads.
It was actually the dean from FSU which is a primary care focused school.

What would you do in my situation? My research was a semester long and my shadowing was 3 summers and 2 winter breaks

Do schools look down on reapplicants that do not use committee letters? My school requires a md letter but I haven't done sufficient hours with the neonatologist I have shadowed since my semester off of school started. Does a letter from a science professor/manager/program coordinator work for 3 letters needed?