LOR from Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pegasus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on doing an externship in EM during 4th year and am looking at Jacksonville for my rotation. My question is, what program(s) would be strong as far as LOR is concerned (and would Jackonville be one), or do you just do the externship at a place you want to go?

I have no idea how to determine which places are going to fit me better until I interview at them..emory vs tampa(hasnt even started yet), jax, orlando, new orleans, ect....so I am choosing Jacksonville basically because it is down south, a big town, and on the water..

Any advice?

Thanks
Pegasus

Members don't see this ad.

Jacksonville is a great program. As I mentioned in another thread, appropriately started by you about "programs in the southeast," oops I digress, as far as a recommendation from Jax, it will go a long way. Jax has been around a long time, and has developed a really great reputation in the field of emergency medicine.

On the first day of the rotation (ie, orientation) the PD will ask if there's anyone going into EMed and would like a recommendation from Jax to submit a resume & a copy their ERAS applicaiton to him ASAP. Also, take a suit, they typically grant students a courtesy interview during their rotation. My other advice is to work hard every shift because you get evaluated by senior residents during every shift. If a patient needs compressions, jump right in. So be aggressive, but don't kiss ass (they can see through that mess). Anyway, they have a form to fill out that you compeleted the required tasks of that shift. If you intubate, suture, place lines, perform an LP, or they really like you, then they usually handwrite extra comments at the bottom. (Aside-I even got to tap a heart during a code).

Its very important to be on your toes because at the end of the rotation the PD has a meeting with all the residents and attendings that filled out an eval on you and ask for their opinion so that he can write a fair LOR. Don't let this scare you, they really are fair. Anyway, good luck. You should really enjoy that rotation, as bad as it may sound, it was probably my most favorite Emed experience last year. You will have plenty of free time to hang out at the beach. It will also help of you have friends there, because Jax isn't exactly bustling with fun activities.

Thanks for all the info..it is really helpful. Im sorry I made you repeat yourself :)...just want to be sure Im doing the right rotation. Jax sounds like a great place for a rotation, and from all the info you gave, I am really excited about it.

One more ? though...did you take an exam at the end of the rotation? I read somewhere that there was a 55 question exam... I though I would be free of exams in 4th year after Step 2...hehe:eek:

Thanks Again
Peg

Originally posted by Pegasus
Thanks for all the info..it is really helpful. Im sorry I made you repeat yourself :)...just want to be sure Im doing the right rotation. Jax sounds like a great place for a rotation, and from all the info you gave, I am really excited about it.

One more ? though...did you take an exam at the end of the rotation? I read somewhere that there was a 55 question exam... I though I would be free of exams in 4th year after Step 2...hehe:eek:

Thanks Again
Peg

Only students that attend Univ of FL-Gainesville have to take the test. Everyone else is exam-free...