Advice for SLOEs/LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E=mc^2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble deciding on what SLOEs to submit to what programs. I have taken two EM rotations so far, both at very prestigious institutions (both top 10 in the country). One happens to be my home institution and one was an away. I achieved a score of Honors in both of them. I also am doing another away rotation right now just to help with competitiveness in a specific area of the country. My SLOE and grade for this rotation might be back in time for ERAS (september 15th), but I am not sure if I should submit a 3rd SLOE. Programs will see that I did 3 EM rotations and have 2 SLOEs, but I'm not sure how much of a concern it would be to not submit that SLOE to specific schools not in that region. I just ask because I feel like I am doing decently on the rotation, but I don't know how good my SLOE will be because the rest of the medical students are very strong this month (all going into EM as well on their sub I). We are also not ranked apparently compared to the entire year, just the last 2 months of students, which makes everything more competitive.

So my question is, should I send this SLOE in as well with my other two SLOEs which I would assume are both quite strong? Or should I hold off and submit to LORs from faculty I worked with either in EM or in other specialties? I also have a rotation later this year at Stanford(I know its a ton of EM rotations, but I could not turn down Stanford).

My second question is, would it be bad or good to just submit a couple of SLOEs now and hold off on sending anything else in until I start seeing how many interviews that brings me? I only have 4 spots on the AAMC website to send in LORs so once I use one it is gone. I think a strong SLOE from Stanford late this year would help me on the match list at places I already interviewed at, but it probably wouldn't help me get any interviews.

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You dont have to submit it, programs wont know. CORD recommends two sloes. So if asked if you got a SLOe from this third rotation, you can fallback on the answer that CORD recommends two SLOEs and you didnt think you needed a third.

You dont have to submit it, programs wont know. CORD recommends two sloes. So if asked if you got a SLOe from this third rotation, you can fallback on the answer that CORD recommends two SLOEs and you didnt think you needed a third.
Unless, you know, they call that third rotation and ask. Especially if he doesn't do that great.

Members don't see this ad :)
We
Unless, you know, they call that third rotation and ask. Especially if he doesn't do that great.

Well thats true. But, I think that's unlikely to happen. Not saying it couldn't, but I doubt it would. But honestly, the option exists to just not get a third SLOE. I don't know why anyone would if they are certain they have two good SLOEs already, and they suspect the third one won't be good. A third one isn't necessary, so if you suspect it will weaken you application, for something that isn't really needed, why get it in the first place?

We

Well thats true. But, I think that's unlikely to happen. Not saying it couldn't, but I doubt it would. But honestly, the option exists to just not get a third SLOE. I don't know why anyone would if they are certain they have two good SLOEs already, and they suspect the third one won't be good. A third one isn't necessary, so if you suspect it will weaken you application, for something that isn't really needed, why get it in the first place?

Hi Gamer, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've seen your advice in past posts on 2 versus 3 SLOEs and how the 3rd SLOE is only necessary if there are issues with the first 2 SLOEs.

I'm thinking I'm going to be getting a middle 1/3 SLOE for my first two, and I am running into issues with my 3rd EM subi and Im worried it may fall through. I'm also a DO with marginally above average scores, and nothing else impressive. How much would I be at a disadvantage not getting the 3rd SLOE and only having the 2?

Thanks

We

That's what I am thinking too. I doubt most will call up the school and ask for it. I might just send in the first two SLOEs and just see what happens with that. However, I'll probably send in the 3rd SLOE at schools right around where I am rotating at. Happens to be a big metropolitan area so it might come in handy there.

I should probably know this, but after September 15th, schools won't be able to see anything I submit unless I upload it. Is this true until they rank students? Or will I have to upload everything to ERAS before the official ranking occurs?

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, I'm sure it's a different environment than 12 and 13 years ago. And there's nearly twice as many programs. But back then, many of the PDs verbally stated that people who did away rotations that didn't come out with SLOEs were red flags. I'm sure that's still true for some of them.

Yes and no. 13 years ago, it was never expected that anyone did more than 2 EM rotations. One home, one away. It has always been CORDs recommendation that students should have two SLOEs. But now, people are doing sometimes 5 or more EM rotations, yet CORD still recommends 2 SLOEs. So at this point, I think its expected you aren't going to have a SLOE from more than your first two rotations; you can get more, but I don't think you are expected to get more.

I do think its a odd if someone rotates somewhere for the first or 2nd audition rotation in July or Aug, but doesn't have a SLOE from that rotation. That's odd, but to be honest, I probably almost never notice it even when it does happen. You can't know where everyone rotates. Most transcripts just say EM elective. They don't say where it was at. Sometime it doesn't even say that. So unless you ask where all did you rotate, which months, etc, then try and piece it all together, you just aren't going to know exactly if someone skipped a SLOE at a place. The times I've noticed it is when someone has two SLOEs for instance, and the SLOEs say it was their 2nd and 3rd EM audition rotation. Then I may ask where there first audition rotation was at. Other than that, I can't see any way I'd notice it.

Someone here though had to exclude getting a SLOE in their app at some point, I'd be interested to hear if anyone noticed it or mentioned it on the interview trail.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Gamer, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've seen your advice in past posts on 2 versus 3 SLOEs and how the 3rd SLOE is only necessary if there are issues with the first 2 SLOEs.

I'm thinking I'm going to be getting a middle 1/3 SLOE for my first two, and I am running into issues with my 3rd EM subi and Im worried it may fall through. I'm also a DO with marginally above average scores, and nothing else impressive. How much would I be at a disadvantage not getting the 3rd SLOE and only having the 2?

Thanks

IF your SLOEs are middle 1/3s (and not any low 1/3s), then you probably will be fine. Most of the students that rotate at my program (former AOA program) are DO's, and from what I've seen, almost all of them match as long as their SLOEs are middle or above. Would a great 3rd SLOE help your app? Sure. But if you can't get a 3rd one, you can't get it. And after 2 other rotations where you are pretty sure you are middle of the pack, what makes you think the 3rd one is going to be outstanding anyways? For the most part, there is a ton of agree ability among SLOEs from one program to another. So honestly, its probably going to be fine to roll with what you have if that's the way it breaks for you and you can't get a 3rd rotation.

Reactions: 1 user
I should probably know this, but after September 15th, schools won't be able to see anything I submit unless I upload it. Is this true until they rank students? Or will I have to upload everything to ERAS before the official ranking occurs?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Wait no, I'm sure. I don't understand the question.

13 years ago, it was never expected that anyone did more than 2 EM rotations. One home, one away.
That is still less than 50% of the students. The majority of students don't have home EM programs. Even today.
So 2 aways at least. I did 3. It was that third one that killed me the first time around. Even not including it.