LOR from lab TA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2DEG

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all..

When I took Organic Chemistry II in Fall 03, our lab TA did more than just lab. He actually helped us by giving lectures, and also holding review sessions etc. Also, we had to do problems as part of the lab as well. He is finishing up his Ph.D in organic chemistry at NCSU.

I would love to get my lab ta's LOR because I think he knows my academic side better than professors in big classes. Also, I know he will write me excellent LOR.
I will also get an LOR from the Organic Chemistry II professor.

I am just wondering how would med schools view LOR from lab TA.

Thanks,
shahab

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I'd get a "we" letter from the TA that's cosigned by the professor. I was in your situation for my bio class and that is how I handled it. Basically, the TA writes the letter in the form "we saw Mr. X perform incredibly well...," where the professor signs the letter with the TA. Seems to have worked fine for me thus far, so that's the way I'd recommend you handle it. If you do get two letters, one from the TA and one from the prof, the prof's letter may be pretty worthless if he didn't know you too well. The cosign would allow you to not only have a good letter from a TA, it will also add a higher degree of legitimacy to the letter

AJ

I just attended a presentation by the director of admissions for UWisc med school and he basically said straight out that LOR's from TA's are not good and that you need to do whatever it takes to get an LOR from a professor who knows you well.

Sorry to be a downer. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
The "we" letter is an EXCELLENT suggestion on several levels. First of all... the PhD doesn't have to write it, s/he just has to sign it (they like that). Secondly, the TA knows you well, so with them writing the letter, it should be personal and positive. It's unlikely that adcoms will discount the letter because a TA is involved, as the prestige of the PhD will be what is important.

Basically, all the benefits of a TA letter, and none of the drawbacks.

go with the WE letter

Thanks all for your inputs. Appreciate it. Actually, both the TA and the professor knows me pretty well. I cannot say it enough how good teachers these two people are. I never thought I would enjoy organic chemistry as much as I did last semester..Thanks to them. Thats why I still keep in touch with them.

I agree, I think it would look better if I get a combined letter. I will do that. My general chem prof. will also give me good LOR - I TA'd for him one semester. Now, I need one more - not sure where I would get that. I am taking biology now and hopefully my bio prof will give me a LOR if she gets to know me I guess. I kind of want to avoid getting LOR from my manager at work. or I might have to beg to my undergrad professors.

Well, have a pleasant cool weekend folks!
S.