TA for Lab or peer tutor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

europ321123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can't find it here, this why creating this thread. I'm a transfer student and next Fall starting my Senior year. My next semester is very heavy filled with classes, and I was offered two positions on campus: being TA for lab for General Biology I(helping students and professor in managing lab) or peer-tutor for BIO I, CHE I&II, and Genetics.

So, the first one allows me to work directly with several students and professor. This lab includes dissecting pig and using science techniques and TA helps students with that.

Peer tutoring on the other hand works one-to-one with individual students and also allows me to "teach" more classes, not only Get Bio I.

The thing is that I can fit only one of those to my schedule, due to conflict with my classes. What do you think is more beneficial(looks better) for my resume in the future applying to MD/DO? This question bothers me, cause not much time left for me in college and I can enjoy both equally.

Best regards

Members don't see this ad.

From personal experience, tutoring multiple classes requires that you are constantly on-top of 4 classes worth of material. Not to mention, within those 4 classes you might tutor students from different professors, with different class scope, etc.

Being that you A) Transferred to this school, and probably aren't as familiar with the nuances of what is covered in each course & by each professor at this university, and B) you already mentioned you have a heavy class schedule, I believe TA-ing for 1 class would probably be more manageable.

This is coming from my experience working for an on-campus tutoring org where I tutored multiple classes, and I was constantly playing catch-up to re-teach myself the material, and to learn for the first time the content that my students' professors cover but my professor didn't.

Edit: Just want to emphasize that either will probably look just as good for med school - although TA-ing might benefit you more in terms of becoming close with your professor and getting a potential LOR.
Thank you for your reply! I took all of them in this college, because I came from another country and need to take all prerequisites here in the states.

I’m also already have LOR from this prof too, I just not sure which one better show leader and organization skills to medschools? I have problem with leadership position since it’s small college and I only have Treasurer position, since all other taken by people who studied here from day 1.