LOR from P.I.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

varunner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knew if it was OK to use a research P.I. as one of our science faculty LOR's. My PI is an associate professor, but he is also faculty. I haven't taken any classes from him (I'm not sure if he even teaches undergrad classes anyways), but I have been working in his lab for a few months now and got a really good LOR from him. Could I use him as one of my two required science professor recs?

Members don't see this ad.

varunner said:
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knew if it was OK to use a research P.I. as one of our science faculty LOR's. My PI is an associate professor, but he is also faculty. I haven't taken any classes from him (I'm not sure if he even teaches undergrad classes anyways), but I have been working in his lab for a few months now and got a really good LOR from him. Could I use him as one of my two required science professor recs?

I was in the same situation and decided NOT to use it as one of my science letters.

Depends on the school. Some only want letters from profs who have taught you in class. You should ask the schools individually.

varunner said:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going for a joint MD PhD or any program where they ask for both, I wouldn't use one letter to represent two separate requests.
But if you're just using it to satisfy a science faculty req, I'd imagine it would be better than a standard letter from a science faculty. Usually PI letters will be more personal (unless you want to a small college) and will speak more to your proficiency in the subject and in the lab.

yea so this is screwing me big-time. I have to wait for my prof to come back from vacation because my LOR isnt satisfied at some schools. Some let it go if you call and ask, but NYU for example needs a lecture-style class where the professor has given you a grade. The lady on the phone said it's to see if you could make yourself stand out from the entire lecture. In the end I should have gotten more LOR's choose from tho, oh well.

Ironhead2000 said:
yea so this is screwing me big-time. I have to wait for my prof to come back from vacation because my LOR isnt satisfied at some schools. Some let it go if you call and ask, but NYU for example needs a lecture-style class where the professor has given you a grade. The lady on the phone said it's to see if you could make yourself stand out from the entire lecture. In the end I should have gotten more LOR's choose from tho, oh well.

Hmm, gotcha. Out of curiosity though, how many schools accepted an LOR from your PI versus did not accept it? I've been trying to get a letter from a grad TA who taught my intro bio lab (which was headed by a professor, although I didn't really know him, so I asked her), but haven't heard from her in a while. She said she's written the letter, but hasn't submitted it (and I haven't heard back from any of my 2-3 emails that I sent over the past 3 weeks).

varunner said:
Hmm, gotcha. Out of curiosity though, how many schools accepted an LOR from your PI versus did not accept it? I've been trying to get a letter from a grad TA who taught my intro bio lab (which was headed by a professor, although I didn't really know him, so I asked her), but haven't heard from her in a while. She said she's written the letter, but hasn't submitted it (and I haven't heard back from any of my 2-3 emails that I sent over the past 3 weeks).
so far NYU is the only one for me that has flat out denied, they wrote me an e-mail saying my file was not complete because the LOR requirement was not met. But I still need to check with Pitt and UNC. Northwestern said it was fine and I forget the others' policies. NW said as long as they are "strong" it can be fine. But if you can get it in by the deadline go for it.. but you sound like your having trouble just like me. My biochem prof said he'd be back this week and i still haven't heard from him.

varunner said:

Absolutely. As one of the previous posters said it will be more personal LOR and probably better. I did. Granted I spent 4 years with my PI, and it would look bad if I didn't have a LOR from her. As long as your PI can write a positive and strong letter than go for it.

If you feel that your research is an important part of your application, I think you have to include an LOR from your PI. I would think it would be more suspicious if you left it out.