LOR help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satinsixstring

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just realized I need to get my LORs before I can send in my secondaries (my AMCAS is going in probably next friday). So I have sent out my email requests for LORs, and have gotten several back already, saying that they will give them to me. My problem is, several are actually out of town, and want to do it out of town - is this possible? Please give me some advice, I feel like I am really in trouble here.

Another question - after I send in my AMCAS (and it gets verified), and my secondaries come out, how long do I have to complete them in? I know I should do it ASAP, but I think I may be forced to wait as late as early September to get all my LORs, in the worst case scenario.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

satinsixstring said:
Hi guys

Just realized I need to get my LORs before I can send in my secondaries (my AMCAS is going in probably next friday). So I have sent out my email requests for LORs, and have gotten several back already, saying that they will give them to me. My problem is, several are actually out of town, and want to do it out of town - is this possible? Please give me some advice, I feel like I am really in trouble here.

Another question - after I send in my AMCAS (and it gets verified), and my secondaries come out, how long do I have to complete them in? I know I should do it ASAP, but I think I may be forced to wait as late as early September to get all my LORs, in the worst case scenario.

Thanks!

if they want to do it out of town, why not? Just make sure you give them the right addresses to your undergrad LOR service or something like interfolio.

Some schools have a two week reccomendation for secondary turnaround time. Others don't have a finite date. The idea is to get it in as soon as possible even though your LOR will probably come in later.

So if I have to wait a little bit for my LORs I'm ok? I just got an interfolio account, and I have 3 professors that are already willing to write, so I am sending them the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it is possible to do it out of town (1 of my recommenders is out of town also). I've sent him the supplementary material (with return envelope and stamp) so he can write it and send the letter to my premedical committee whenever.

when you submit AMCAS, it'll probably take 2-3 weeks or more for verification (a lot of schools don't send secondaries without verification). when you receive the secondaries, a lot of motivated ppl implement the 2-week rule (where u submit the secondaries within the 2 weeks of receipt) to stay on the safe side (not to pile up secondaries, show enthusiasm for the school ur applying etc.) i think you have a good month before you really need those LORs..

satinsixstring said:
So if I have to wait a little bit for my LORs I'm ok? I just got an interfolio account, and I have 3 professors that are already willing to write, so I am sending them the info.

well do that asap. some schools (not all) won't start reviewing your application until all materials, including LORs, are in.

i am 1000 miles from most of my rec writers and 2400 from another. best thing to do in my opinion...interfolio. its a good thing that you decided to do it i think. That way, they don't have to keep sending off the letter to a wide array of schools and take time out of their (probably) busy schedule. just give them the interfolio info. interfolio send out the letters super quick once you tell them. its great. when i asked my writers, i gave them a copy of my PS, a copy of my CV, the interfolio cover sheet, and a print out i found online about what to include in the letter (especially for the non science profs). good luck

I am making progress fast, I think I may have everything worked out soon, and completed in perfect time....or at least I hope so.