LOR Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyadoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
two of the people who were supposed to write me LORs asked me to write them myself. One is my chemistry professor and the other is a doctor in whose clinic i volunteered. Can anyone please tell me what i should put in the letters of rec and how can i write them so they don't sound the same???
any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Okay here are the options off the top of my head

a) Explain the situation to someone who you're at least kind of close to, and see if they can write one last minute, and be very very very thankful and polite and EVERYTHING when you see them

b) Find a friend you trust to write it for you (two friends, actually)

c) Convince them to write it themselves, and risk having them write negatively about you

whyadoctor said:
two of the people who were supposed to write me LORs asked me to write them myself. One is my chemistry professor and the other is a doctor in whose clinic i volunteered. Can anyone please tell me what i should put in the letters of rec and how can i write them so they don't sound the same???
any help will be greatly appreciated :)

maybe you can give them a list of what you've accomplished in college, and points you might like included in the letter, but ask them again to write it themselves. if you make it easier, they may be more inclined to do it. then again, a letter written by you will be reviewed by them before it is submitted, so hopefully they would revise it enough to lend their own voice to the letter!

your other option is to find someone else who will actually write the letter and not make you do it. other professors/docs/work supervisors/extracurrics, etc are good. this writing your whole letter thing may suggest that these people might be lazy and wouldn't write you a good letter anyway. or it could be a really clever exercise to test you out!