LOR: How late is too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bloop213

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have 3 LORs that I can use to submit all my applications. However, I am currently on an away that I really like and may get a solid LOR from. I will probably submit this letter as an optional 4th letter for all programs that will take 4. Two questions:

1. When should this letter be submitted by at the latest? (Oct 1st? when MSPE comes out)
2. If I do submit this letter towards an already complete application, will my application be delayed or is it just considered an addendum?

Thanks for all the help thus far! This forum has been pretty useful in last couple of weeks.
 
I think it will delay your application.

Many programs invite before MSPE is released. You'd be surprised how little patience surgeons have with pages of rambling nonsense from medical schools narrating your life story.

Best to go with your three letters now and have your away contact make calls/emails on your behalf to your top programs.