LOR: How late is too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bloop213

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have 3 LORs that I can use to submit all my applications. However, I am currently on an away that I really like and may get a solid LOR from. I will probably submit this letter as an optional 4th letter for all programs that will take 4. Two questions:

1. When should this letter be submitted by at the latest? (Oct 1st? when MSPE comes out)
2. If I do submit this letter towards an already complete application, will my application be delayed or is it just considered an addendum?

Thanks for all the help thus far! This forum has been pretty useful in last couple of weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind that when you request a LOR the turn around generally isn’t one weekend.

Keep in mind that when you request a LOR the turn around generally isn’t one weekend.
Yeah, I understand that's generally the case. But overall they have been really supportive, so wouldn't be too surprised if they could accommodate.

I think it will delay your application.

Many programs invite before MSPE is released. You'd be surprised how little patience surgeons have with pages of rambling nonsense from medical schools narrating your life story.

Best to go with your three letters now and have your away contact make calls/emails on your behalf to your top programs.