LOR/MSTP advice?

Started by byong_soo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

byong_soo

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear SDNers,

I am a 3rd year biochem major. I have a 3.8 GPA (slightly higher science gpa i think), researched in 4 different labs (one summer thru HST summer fellowship; but only had decent time with only 2 of them; altho i do have a publication, 2nd author in some obscure journal, so nothing special), school crew team, ER, clubs.

First of all, I am pondering whether I should apply this summer or not (regardless I am planning to take mcat this april). I am not really sure if my resume is good enough to apply right now, and I heard taking a year or two after undergrad is a good idea (but my question is, in what circumstance would this suit you? is this for everyone that has not so spectacular resumeS?)

I think I am not really in a good standing in terms of getting in, at least decent to top-tier ones. I would really like to get in to a top-tier, but you know, I don't feel like I don't have anything exceptional to present. I think I am honestly losing my confidence, too. I often ask myself if I am actually smart enough to even apply for MSTP, and maybe I shoudl just go for MD. I mean I LOVE research (I really do), but I feel like I don't have brains for it (I am not like quick and creative as some of my peers).

Q#1: What are your opinions about the extra year or two of expereince? and When shoudl one pursue this road?

Also, I think something that concerns me the most right now is my rec letter. I have gotten A's in some classes, but do not know the professor at all. A lot of you guys have emphasized rec letters, and now I'm starting to feel the pressure. For instance, I recently asked a professor to write me a rec letter, and she responded by saying: "I am happy to write it for you. There is no need to describe all your career goals etc to me - these will not be part of my letter and really shouldn't be. I will describe your performance and the course and that will be sufficient." I honestly don't think she sounded like she was gonna write me a great rec, just a ok one at MOST. Maybe I should tell her what I want on the letter? but that would be weird right? unless she asks? Haha. I am so confused.

Q2: Do you guys have any advice on how to get a good LOR? and maybe how to establish a good relationship with professors? And what do you think about how my professor responded to me?

thanks!!! THis became more of a xanga post than a forum post, so I apologize in advance, and thnx for reading this far.
 
First, this advice only applies to non-coxswains (j/k)

byong_soo said:
Q#1: What are your opinions about the extra year or two of expereince? and When shoudl one pursue this road?

Ultimately it's a personal choice. I decided to take a year off because I was in a similar situation to your own. Currently I'm working full time in a lab and I've found that most people along the way thought I made a good choice in taking a year off. It's probably your last legitamate shot at taking sometime away from school. Also, it can be a great time to improve your application by getting more lab experience, doing some shadowing, and getting another letter from a research mentor.

This being said, one interviewer that I met was somewhat critical about my choice to take a year off. Mind you this was only one person against many who thought that it's a good idea to take a year off in general.

As far as your experience goes, I think that you don't NEED to take a year off given your research experience. But it probably can only make your application stronger if you take advantage of the time.

byong_soo said:
Q2: Do you guys have any advice on how to get a good LOR? and maybe how to establish a good relationship with professors? And what do you think about how my professor responded to me?

I wouldn't worry too much about getting letters from people that taught you in courses. All of mine were from people whose labs I worked in - and although this is only speculation, I can imagine that these types of letters had a little more weight than the ones from people who you just took a class from.

As far as this particular professor goes, it sounds like they wouldn't write you a bad letter - just not a great one. Really it's your call, but I can't imagine that a letter like that would help or hurt you too much either way.

As far as how to get good letters, I would focus on getting letters for people you did research for. Just point blank ask them if they feel that they could write a good letter for you.

Good luck with the decisions and slaving away on the erg (unless you're coxswain, then good luck with yelling).
 
I think the most important things about taking a year off is to have a good plan. That was one thing I was asked about most during interviews, is WHY the year off. You just need to have a good answer, and it'll be fine.

As far as LORs are concerned, previous employers can be a good source as well as you professors and research mentos.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It sounds like you have a decent chance at getting into an MSTP somewhere. Of course, not having a MCAT score and not having strong letters currently would make you want to wait a year. However, you can always apply and then have as a back-up plan working in a lab for a year. Experience in lab is to determine whether you actually appreciate and are competent in science, not to have 5 Nature papers before you apply for grad school. As for your letters, if you've been in 4 labs, it's important to get a letter or two from your research mentors. If you don't at least include one letter, every program will question what you are hiding and whether you were a poor lab worker. Everybody also knows that course director/chair letters are really impersonal and don't say much at all. Therefore, unless the person writing the letter is some big shot, there really is no point in getting a letter from an assistant professor (or lecturer) who repeats what your transcript says already.
 
Thnx everyone. I guess for now, I'll see how my mcat numbers are going to look (i had miserable 21 on my diag) and also work on my rec letters somehow. Oh btw, a lot of u guys have mentioned that it is probably a good idea to get letters from PI's (which I have no problem with), but don't you NEED some rec letters from academic lecturers as well? or am i misinformed?
 
Letters from your class professors probably wont be too outstanding, but if you know that a prof will write you a really nice one, then go for it. Otherwise, I would not suggest asking for a letter from someone you don't know that well just for the sake of having a well-rounded packet of recs.

I didn't have any letters from lecturers in my packet, but I did have two from non-research mentors. I'd say the thing that has hurt me the most was the fact that I didn't have any clinical letters. If I could do it again I would definitely throw out my "personal" letter to make room for a clinical one.

good luck!
 
I believe some schools require letters from both science and non-science instructors for the MD part. You should check with each specific schools you are applying to make sure. I wouldn't get letters from any professor that you didn't get to know to some extent one-on-one or in a small class setting though.
 
fyli260 said:
I believe some schools require letters from both science and non-science instructors for the MD part. You should check with each specific schools you are applying to make sure. I wouldn't get letters from any professor that you didn't get to know to some extent one-on-one or in a small class setting though.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that as well. fyli260 is right, some schools specifically require certain letters. I know that UCSD asked for a letter from a non-science professor (humanities, social science, etc), but if you couldn't provide one you just had to write them and explain why.
 
ah~ thank you. I am actually finally connecting with one faculty member. Woohoo. =) BTW, what do you folks do over the summer other than research... any interesting experience? I really wanna do something different this summer. Maybe study abroad =) but maybe that will be hard since it's my application summer~ o i can't believe it's coming up so soon
 
for what it's worth, i had 4 science (2 from research, 2 from grad courses), 1 math, and 1 humanities letter. the humanities letter was the weakest one by far but for mstp's it didn't matter much.

med schools (MD programs) require 2 non-science letters right? and i don't think math letters count as non-science but i could be wrong.