LOR-my physics professor is not a professor but an "instructor"!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My physics professor who also teaches the calc based physics, I just found out that is classified by my university as an "instructor". I think that means he doesn't have a PhD. But, he has an MS in physics. Are we allowed to get LORs from a non PhD teachers?

Members don't see this ad.

My physics professor who also teaches the calc based physics, I just found out that is classified by my university as an "instructor". I think that means he doesn't have a PhD. But, he has an MS in physics. Are we allowed to get LORs from a non PhD teachers?

Instructor is the bottom rung of the academic ladder but it doesn't mean that the person doesn't have a PhD (or other doctoral degree). If the person has a facutly position at your university, then he can write you a letter.

Many "instructors" are simply temporary faculty (non-tenure/tenure track). As long as they are teaching the class - and not the TA - then most schools will accept it as they would accept a letter from a professor. Thats not to say that all schools won't accept a TA's letter, but I think if you get a letter from a teacher who is considered an instructor then you'll be no different than the guy who got it from a "professor"

Members don't see this ad :)
I did this and it was ok.

I only did it because I knew I would get a significantly stronger letter from the "instructor" than any professor.

I made sure to get my other science letter from a professor with an endowed chair.

I got a letter from an english instructor, who does not have a PhD. Mainly, because I didn't have any other options, since I went back to school after taking time off and didn't take many non-science classes. I did get two letters from science PhDs though. Hopefully, this won't hurt my application (I don't think it will).

A year ago, my schools aed officers had dinner with the three admission deans of my state´s 3 med schools. i sat next to one of the deans. he mentioned that he ¨hates¨reading letters from instructors. He said that he takes letters from FULL professors most seriously....and he hinted that letters from alumni or disting professors are even better. i think he also said something to the effect of "we dont like to get letter from instructors, at the very least, make sure they are asst professors."

Now, as you see, other admission people will not care (LizzyM). Just be aware that others may. I got my science letters from two distin professors (one is dept head) and my non science from an asst poli sci prof. i also got a 4th letter from my boss, who is an RN. i was going for the whole "balenced" thing....

Whether it is fair or not, it will be for some admission people important. They value the academic hierarchy(spl?) establishment....take from this what you´d like....

I didn't say that I didn't care, just that the letter would be acceptable. Yes, we like a glowing letter from a full professor (or a distinguished professor with a named chair) but we hate to discriminate against students who went to big state colleges with >500 in the lecture hall. If the best that the full professor in that case can write (if there was even one remotely associated with a low level undergrad class) is something along the lines of "I don't know Joe Schmo personally but he was enrolled in my Organic Chemistry course last year. The class has over 500 students. He received a 92% (top 5% of the class) on the midterm exam and had the best grade on the final, a 98%. My TA tells me that he seldom attended office hours but I assume it is because he didn't need to. Mr. Schmo is a fine student and will do well in any academic setting he pursues". Really, am I going to get anything out of such a letter? I'd much rather have a letter from an instructor in a class of 10-30 students who actually got to know the student's personal attributes.

But, you make do with what you can get given your circumstances.

I didn't say that I didn't care, just that the letter would be acceptable. Yes, we like a glowing letter from a full professor (or a distinguished professor with a named chair) but we hate to discriminate against students who went to big state colleges with >500 in the lecture hall. If the best that the full professor in that case can write (if there was even one remotely associated with a low level undergrad class) is something along the lines of "I don't know Joe Schmo personally but he was enrolled in my Organic Chemistry course last year. The class has over 500 students. He received a 92% (top 5% of the class) on the midterm exam and had the best grade on the final, a 98%. My TA tells me that he seldom attended office hours but I assume it is because he didn't need to. Mr. Schmo is a fine student and will do well in any academic setting he pursues". Really, am I going to get anything out of such a letter? I'd much rather have a letter from an instructor in a class of 10-30 students who actually got to know the student's personal attributes.

But, you make do with what you can get given your circumstances.

I apologize if I was putting words in your mouth with my earlier post :eek: Thank you for the clarification and hope this clears up the issue.... :thumbup: