LOR!!! plz help!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonaluv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have one LOR from my research PI, one from my lab post doc, one from a non-science professor, and one more from my work. I am pretty sure that these letters are very good. My problem is that one more letter that I am supposed to receive in a week from my science professor is gonna be not so good, probably a generic typical one. I recently was told by my close friend who now is a med student that it's actually better not to send that one, but just the ones I already have. His idea was that they are not gonna decide whether or not to accept me based on the fact that I am missing one science letter. This actually was his case. Upon his acceptance, he was asked to submit one more science letter by his med school. However, when I told this story to my counselor, she told me that is ridiculous, just giving another reason for med schools to reject me. Who should I listen to? Any type of response would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will not consider your file complete and will not review it until all their required recommendations are received.

I agree with the above. Although my opinion is based solely on my limited application experience, there are schools that I'm applying to that require letters from professors in your science classes. Even if it's generic as hell, if you did well it's not gonna hurt you along with strong rec's from people that know you really well and can vouch for your personality and dedication. Wait for some more responses to be sure, but I know some schools recommend 2 science profs, one non-science, and whatever else (some with 4 max letters recommended). Sounds like you've got some strong letters, so one mediocre will not kill you, imo.