Lor Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

normalforce

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most programs want three LORs. What is a good mix. I will have two from physiatrists, two from IM, two from FP, one from pediatrics. One of my IM is really good (but with one misspelled word, is that ok). So I will submit that, then should I send the two from the physiatrists? The pediatric letter is pretty good too, should I send it?

Members don't see this ad.

I had 3 letters from physiatrists, 1 from a Med/Peds doc who's also a PD at my school, and an IM letter from Cleveland Clinic.

I chose to waive my right to read them - so I didn't read any of them except for one of the physiatrist's letters - he wanted me to help him write it.

I think (it's been a while) I submitted the 3 PM&R letters to programs that wanted 3 and added the Med/Peds letter if a program allowed 4 LORs. I used my IM and Med/Peds letters for my transitional/prelim programs.

If you were able to read the letters - I would send the 2 physiatrists and the one really good IM. Some programs allow up to 4 LORs - then tack on the Peds. If you are interested in Peds Rehab, then perhaps you should send the Peds letter.

Most interviewers commented on my physiatrist LORs - many of them knew one of the letter writers, trained with them, or knew them from conferences. PM&R is a small world so your PM&R letters are key.

Good luck :luck:

I had 4 LORs...

2 PMR, 2 IM (one a program director, one was my SubI attending).

Good luck with ERAS! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Had two physiatrist LoRs, three IM, one peds. For physiatry programs, I submitted the 2 pmr letters, one IM, and one peds. I thought that since PMR includes peds and medicine, it would help to have one of each, in addition to physiatry letters (like axm said, pmr is a small world, and some folks recognized the letter writers, which were great topics for conversation and good connection points during interviews).

For prelim/transitional years, I submitted the three IM letters, and maybe one of the physiatry letters. Those were sufficient.

i'm a little confused about this whole LOR process/timing (i'm about to start M2). people send in their applications for residency programs during the summer/early fall....right? how do you have enough time to include LOR's from 4th year electives (i'm guessing this is when you do subI's and electives in whatever specialty you want to go into)?

someone set me straight :) thanks!

Dean's letters don't go out until November - many programs won't offer interviews until the application is "complete" - so you still have time to get letters until about October.