LOR Question! Confused!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayQuah

Connect Four Champion
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Just wondering if anybody knows how the LOR package for MD/PhD differs from the traditional 2 science, 1 non-science prof package of Reg MD?

Members don't see this ad.

JayQuah said:
Hey Guys, Just wondering if anybody knows how the LOR package for MD/PhD differs from the traditional 2 science, 1 non-science prof package of Reg MD?
get refs from everyone you did research with (unless they are not going to be good refs)

Sonya said:
get refs from everyone you did research with (unless they are not going to be good refs)

Do you mean in addition to what's normally required? Because one of my five letters that i was going to have written for MD is my PI. Should I plan to get 3 leters from rofs and 2 from research preceptors?

Members don't see this ad :)
JayQuah said:
Do you mean in addition to what's normally required? Because one of my five letters that i was going to have written for MD is my PI. Should I plan to get 3 leters from rofs and 2 from research preceptors?

I think there may already be a thread with this- but I'm applying this year and this is what my pre-med advisor had me do. I had to get 4 LOR's for the med school apps (2 science, 1 humanities, 1 personal). I then had to get 4 for MSTP (3 research/science, 1 personal). My personal was the same for both, two science profs I had wrote me separate MD and MSTP letters, a history prof wrote an MD letter, and the PI I had done a significant research with wrote my last MSTP letter. 5 different people wrote me 7 letters.

Anyhow, that's what I was told to do and did. It seemed like a lot, but it'll be worth it :)

JayQuah said:
I'd say seven is the max, totally. just a rule of thumb through.

And, like I said, all your research profs (well, not if it's been less than a few mos of research with them). and, one non sci, and some other sciences.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS ask if the person is willling to write. NOt just willing, ask if they feel they woudl be the right person to write you a letter. If you ask if they are willing - no one would say no. But, explain what you are looking for, and explain you need a strong letter. ANd, let them know you will not mind if they say no, as there are others who can write for you. You would rather have NO letter than a weak letter (I think)

Hope it helps....

Sonya said:

A few schools may request a letter from every faculty member that you did research with so be ready to ask for one from that guy you pissed off last summer... :p :rolleyes: :scared: