LOR Question - Do not have all 3 writers... can i submit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgal1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm itching to send in my application, however, I have only heard back from 1 letter writer, who agreed to write a rec.

I have several questions.

1. Can I send in my ERAS with only 1 letter writer assigned? Then assign 2 others later on as they say yes?

2. If I add the 2 letter writers, who have yet to say yes, and end up saying no or not responding, and add 2 different ones in the future, will programs know who my previous ones were and that I changed them up?

What is the best way to do this?

I dont really want the school the writers are from to see that I put them down since they havent said yes yet.
And I also dont want schools to know that 2 of my letter writers were changed at the end.

Members don't see this ad.

1. yes
2. from what i know, no.

just make sure that the names you submit to eras are the same ones you submit to ecfmg because if they dont match then the LORs wont get assigned properly

good luck

To confirm the above, on our end we only see the letters once they are downloaded. If you assign Doc A's letter to my program, Doc A doesn't write the letter, you change and reassign Doc B's letter, all I see is the letter from Doc B.

as buckley wrote, the answer to #1 is yes - i've done so myself. when my other letter writer submits the letter it'll automatically become available for download by the programs to which i've assigned that letter.

Okay, so I have two LORs already IN to the medical school. I am waiting on possibly 3-4 LOR's more...that are NOT yet in...but I have a feeling these will be better than the ones in....Should I go ahead and assing the two LOR's that are in just to get things rolling and *then* de-assigning them and assign the others coming in....OR should I wait for ALL the LORs to be in before assigning them? I was planning on having one of the Deans go over all the LOR's and see which ones are the best...but now that some of the LORs are taking longer to get in...just wondering if I should go ahead with what I have now...

Clear as mud?

I read in ERAS if you assign Letter and they are sent to the program you cannot de-assign them after that...but if your letters are in the school but not yet assigned I would speak to the dean first.

I have a question about, sending more than 2 faculty letters plus the chairman letter, most school say they only want three letters does that include the chairman's letter. AND can I add the fourth letter without plenty?

Thanks

Hmmm, not sure because on ERAS it says you can assign up to four LOR's per school (at least the ones I applied to)...I am not the LOR number is etched into stone either...meaning can we send five or three?