LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcePenguin

Reaction score
Is it appropriate to ask a medical student for a LOR? We've worked pretty closely together for the past couple of months and I'm thinking about using her letter as a supplementary LOR.

Members don't see this ad.

It won't help you. Try to get letters from professors, physicians, employers only. Most schools have a max anyway, and they won't even read beyond that. You don't want to have them read a student's LOR and chuck your required LOR because it was one too many. If you have the required letters, you don't need supplements. If for some reason you can't get the required LORs, look at the school's current COVID policy for LOR's or call and ask. I'm assuming you aren't applying until 2021?

It won't help you. Try to get letters from professors, physicians, employers only. Most schools have a max anyway, and they won't even read beyond that. You don't want to have them read a student's LOR and chuck your required LOR because it was one too many. If you have the required letters, you don't need supplements. If for some reason you can't get the required LORs, look at the school's current COVID policy for LOR's or call and ask. I'm assuming you aren't applying until 2021?

Yes, that's right. I'm thinking about supplemental letters because I got my committee letter last year, so I don't know if I need to include additional letters. I'm working on a project with her this gap year, so that's why I'm wondering whether I should include one from her

Yes, that's right. I'm thinking about supplemental letters because I got my committee letter last year, so I don't know if I need to include additional letters. I'm working on a project with her this gap year, so that's why I'm wondering whether I should include one from her
Ah gotchya. To be honest, committee letters are a bit of a mystery to me. My uni didn't offer them. I would go back to that very committee and ask their opinion, or whether or not they would be willing to write an update on behalf of your recent work with the project. If not, you can include your project and work with the med student in writing portions of primary and/or secondary applications (trust me, there will be PLENTY of opportunities).