LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Renabeana77

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received a letter of recommendation from an optometrist I shadowed. It is a relatively short letter, but very positive. However, I'm just wondering about the length and whether it is adequate or not to submit to the schools I'm applying for. Its roughly 8 sentences long. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I heard, LORs are usually 1-1.5 pages long.

I thought the LORs had to be sent directly to the school from the person writing them.

Members don't see this ad :)
sco1styear said:
I thought the LORs had to be sent directly to the school from the person writing them.

This is generally the case if you are using a Pre-Health Advising Committee at your school. You waive your right to see the letter. I believe most schools prefer this. If for some reason you happen to send the letter, I think your letter writer signs across the seal of the envelope to confirm it has not been opened.

yes, letters should be sent directly by the person writing them. i had a couple letters written for me that were approx. 3/4 of a page long. others were lengthier. quantity is not of utmost importance if the quality is good. just be sure the person who is writing the letter knows who you are and what you're about. :)