LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mdphdhopeful

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To previous MDPHD applicants:
Did you send in only separate letters or did you send a committee letter? My school doesn't have a committee but recommends having a composite letter writer (someone who gets all your other letters and writes a summary.) Did you send one of these composite letters in if your school didnt have a committee? Thanks.
 
no committee at my school that I knew of, and no composite letter...a couple profs and a couple research mentors that were collected through a file service and sent out in one packet.

(and another interesting LOR comment, some schools I applied to asked for a letter from a non-science professor but I sent them the same packet of letters as all the other schools (no truly non-science profs) and still heard back positively)
 
1. Do a search because I remember us talking about this last summer when the 06 applicants were getting their apps together.

2. I had a composite letter that included all of my LORs but I also had my research letters sent separately to the MSTP offices. Every application was different in what it requested, but with the composite letter and 2 research letters, I never had a problem.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jhu pre-med committee puts together a really nice package of all the letters including a committee letter from one of the deans. I think this helped.
 
Cornell had something similar. I chose to send a few extra research letters though since my committee packet was only allowed to include three letters (one was from my primary PI, the other was from a long-term boss at work, and other was from a clinical preceptor). I'm not sure what unconscious biases are at work on adcoms on committee letters vs. composite letters, but I would hope/assume they'd be small to negligible. The only thing that I've discovered in this process that seems to be a disadvantage is if an applicant from a committee-letter-school chooses not to avail herself of the committee (raising a red flag with the adcoms 😱 ). The composite letter sounds like a good idea, especially since your PI could focus all of the other letters through the prism of your research. Make sure the originals are all included of course.