LOR reminders - HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peterpansy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone could help me phrase an LOR reminder. The letter is from one of my professors; I asked her for it before I left to go abroad in December, and it's still not in. I thought a reminder would be smart, seeing how it's April already. Is email ok, or should I send a postcard? How do I word it so that it's polite and at the same time persistent? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Any email will be fine. Just as long as you don't sound too demanding. How about you type up what you want to say, and we just edit it for you?

happydays said:
Any email will be fine. Just as long as you don't sound too demanding. How about you type up what you want to say, and we just edit it for you?

First of all, I'm not sure how to address it. The professor allowed us to call her by her first name in class, however, I was never quite comfortable with that, especially in an email. Should I call her Ms. X or Professor X, or by her first name?
Second, is any kind of introduction required, or should I just get to the point?

How's this:

"Dear Professor X,

I was wondering if you have given any thought to the letter of recommendation you so graciously agreed to write for me in December. I have noticed that the Career Services don't have it on file yet. While it is still only April, and the deadline isn't until June 1st, I just wanted to send you a quick reminder to make sure that my credentials file is completed on time. If you require any more information about the subject of the letter, my interest in medicine, my academic and extra-curricular background, or anything else, please email me about it and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Thank you again for doing me this favor.

Sincerely,

peterpansy"

Thanks for your help, happydays!

Professor X is fine. The rest should also be ok.