LOR reminders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bethhill

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent my attendings all of my materials for the LOR approximately 8/25 (i know, i know -- kinda late). my question is this -- thus far, nothing has been submitted. i would like at LEAST one LOR to be posted so that programs would consider inviting me for interviews. is it inappropriate to start bugging people for the LOR? how long do i have to wait and how should i phrase it?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I sent my attendings all of my materials for the LOR approximately 8/25 (i know, i know -- kinda late). my question is this -- thus far, nothing has been submitted. i would like at LEAST one LOR to be posted so that programs would consider inviting me for interviews. is it inappropriate to start bugging people for the LOR? how long do i have to wait and how should i phrase it?

thanks!

Well I've found the following to work quite well: Send an email or make a phone call with it going something like "Dr. X, I really appreciate your willingness to write a LOR on my behalf. I just wanted to ensure you have everything you need to complete the task. Please feel free to contact me should I be able to provide anything further you want/need."

This jogs their memory if they've forgotten. It also lets them know you're keeping on top of it and they usually want to go ahead and get it done for you.