LOR: Science Vs Non-Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IHaveAnOwlTattoo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all... struggling pre-med student here,

I have two questions in regards to LORs.

1) It's been about 2 years since I've graduated and taken a science course... so I assume it'll be a bit hard for me to find LOR from a science faculty... however, I currently am a research assistant at Columbia University - Department of child and adolescent psychiatry. My PI (principle investigator) teaches child and adolescent psychiatry at Columbia University's medical center and writes academic LOR. Can I use this as a science LOR? -- or would it strictly have to be a science faculty that has had me in their course. Either way, I will still be using this for my application.

2) I am currently a MPH in Epidemiology student at NYMC (new york medical college) taking having upper level biostatistics courses (Intermediate biostatistics/survival analysis/statistical modeling). My biostats professor also teaches for the school of medicine... So i'm just curious.. Is biostats considered science and or math? and will schools accept a biostats LOR as a form of science LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Psychiatry is considered non-science for AMCAS (weird I know), so you can't use it as a science LOR.
  2. Yes
Here is the classification the AAMC uses for science and non-science classes

Thank you for this.. This link is super helpful. So i'm assuming anything from the list of (science) would be appropriate for a science LOR. I've been hearing way too many different things... Also, would it be okay if I had multiple LOR from faculty of the same dept? (2 biostats proff.) or would it be preferred that I had different sciences?

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. Psychiatry is considered non-science for AMCAS (weird I know), so you can't use it as a science LOR.
  2. Yes
Here is the classification the AAMC uses for science and non-science classes
Thank you for this.. This link is super helpful. So i'm assuming anything from the list of (science) would be appropriate for a science LOR. I've been hearing way too many different things... Also, would it be okay if I had multiple LOR from faculty of the same dept? (2 biostats proff.) or would it be preferred that I had different sciences?

Two different sciences could be better if you did well in their classes.

About the “science LOR,”
schools that ask for a science faculty LOR, you can use a PI letter.
in my opinion, I think the psych PI could be used. But ask the adcoms here for a more accurate answer

However You CANNOT use that when a school specifically asks for a science faculty in which you received a grade etc. For that you’d have to use a course professor. So check carefully when you apply to schools and see what their reqs are

Hello all... struggling pre-med student here,

I have two questions in regards to LORs.

1) It's been about 2 years since I've graduated and taken a science course... so I assume it'll be a bit hard for me to find LOR from a science faculty... however, I currently am a research assistant at Columbia University - Department of child and adolescent psychiatry. My PI (principle investigator) teaches child and adolescent psychiatry at Columbia University's medical center and writes academic LOR. Can I use this as a science LOR? -- or would it strictly have to be a science faculty that has had me in their course. Either way, I will still be using this for my application.

2) I am currently a MPH in Epidemiology student at NYMC (new york medical college) taking having upper level biostatistics courses (Intermediate biostatistics/survival analysis/statistical modeling). My biostats professor also teaches for the school of medicine... So i'm just curious.. Is biostats considered science and or math? and will schools accept a biostats LOR as a form of science LOR?
In response to @Nicholasavang's questions:

1. Science LOR is written by an individual (e.g., professor) in whose BCPM class you were enrolled as a student and you were taught by that professor. You were not (and are not) enrolled as a student in a BCPM class taught by the PI. So, a letter from the PI will not count as a "science LOR" pursuant to AMCAS.

2. "Intermediate Biostatistics" course is considered BCPM (Math) pursuant to the AMCAS Course Clasification Guide. This professor can write a science LOR for you.

I wish you the best of success in your medical school journey.