LOR/Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeddo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a senario....a friend of mine is an MD. But he is R1. He has let me come along with him to "shadow" him at the hospital where he's at. My question is...can I actually get a LOR from him? He being my friend? Does it matter? I know I should try to get a LOR of a DO but I think the more the merrier? I would have one from an MD and one from a DO(try to get one)?

Im trying to get as much shadowing that I can, so that it will "look" good on my application! Plus I've enjoyed it! My friend lets me do more things that normally would not be able to do.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Usually LOR's are needed from Attending Physicians. If you are applying DO..it would really behoove you to get at least one letter from a DO...after shadowing him/her.
Where are you looking to shadow? Perhaps people around where you are looking could link you up with in your area?

This might be a better approach.....what schools are you looking at?

Let us know...and we'll see if we can help find ya some docs to shadow.

Sorry but I am going to disagree with Yosh. In my opinion...I see nothing wrong with a resident writing your letter. They are after all, a doctor. I haven't seen a LOR form yet that asks how long someone has been a doctor. Since this person truely knows you, then I would say you would be able to get a greta letter from them.

For some of the DO schools, you will have to have a DO letter. Some schools either MD or DO will fine for them. I will agree with Yosh here, I would also recommend getting one from a DO regardless of whether they will wiave that or not. IT shows a more heightened interest in the DO profession.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think as long as you have your core letters from established physicians, it certainly can't hurt to have an extra letter from a resident. I wouldn't recommend using it as one of your main letters, though.

Yosh said:
Usually LOR's are needed from Attending Physicians. If you are applying DO..it would really behoove you to get at least one letter from a DO...after shadowing him/her.
Where are you looking to shadow? Perhaps people around where you are looking could link you up with in your area?

This might be a better approach.....what schools are you looking at?

Let us know...and we'll see if we can help find ya some docs to shadow.

Yes I will be doing some DO shadowing. Im planning to apply at TCOM. I went to their open house and the admissions guy told us that its not required but it does look good. Its not difficult to get one so I will do that. I know TCOM has a list of DO willing to help. Actually, I was about to go and shadow one but unfortunatly due to work and school I had to cancel! :(. I still have time though.

Amy- you say it wouldn't matter but the others say it would? So whats the
"assesment"? :) Also I though you are attending TCOM right or am I wrong? Is it another amy on the board? (Nevermind I read your signature! :) )

After going to TCOMs open house I loved it even more! I also would like to stay in the state and this is the only DO school here. I live about 25minutes from the campus aswell. I really hope they accept me when I apply!

I really was just giving my opinion about the need to be a resident or attending,etc.... I think the bottom line is get the highest ranking doctor you can shadow. :)

Perhaps others can give premeddo some actual situations where they used residents for their letters. That is an interesting question, though. I can't remember it coming up before here on SDN, or at least I didn't read a thread where it came up.

I hope you get into your first choice school!!! When will you be applying?

Amy B said:
I really was just giving my opinion about the need to be a resident or attending,etc.... I think the bottom line is get the highest ranking doctor you can shadow. :)

Perhaps others can give premeddo some actual situations where they used residents for their letters. That is an interesting question, though. I can't remember it coming up before here on SDN, or at least I didn't read a thread where it came up.

I hope you get into your first choice school!!! When will you be applying?

Thanks Amy! I appreciate yall answering. Yes I will get a LOR from my friend and ofcourse a DO. I will also try to get more lor, since Im not a "traditional" student. Im a business major going into medicine. So I don't have a commite to give me a lor from school. Im planning to apply for 2005. But just incase I don't it will have to wait til 2006. Im a non-traditional student all over! ;) Im a business major and working as a computer programmer. Im trying to get my prereq. in so that I can apply. Unfort. I have to support myself so I have to work FT. Thus not being able to take many classes! :(
Fingers crossed I can apply 2005 and get into TCOM! My first choice.

Thanks!

Good luck with your preparations. Hey I don't know how old you are, but there is a site for older and/or nontraditional students. Look at the bottom of my signature or follow this link. It is a great web site for people who are coming from other careers and who are older and who may or may not have a family. Check it out. Check out the left hand side of the home page and you will see the link to the forums. You have to register to have access to all forums, but it is free and easy. :thumbup:

http://www.oldpremeds.org

Amy B said:
Good luck with your preparations. Hey I don't know how old you are, but there is a site for older and/or nontraditional students. Look at the bottom of my signature or follow this link. It is a great web site for people who are coming from other careers and who are older and who may or may not have a family. Check it out. Check out the left hand side of the home page and you will see the link to the forums. You have to register to have access to all forums, but it is free and easy. :thumbup:

http://www.oldpremeds.org
Thanks, I do consider myself a non-trad but not old old! :D Im 26. What happend is that I compare myself to others and their ages. A lot of people I know are that age and are in med school already. My friend who I was talking about is 27 and is in R1.

I will still check that site out though.
Thanks!