MD LoR from Scribing AND from shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alex4d1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm re-applying this cycle and absolutely loved the scribing exposure I got this year. I talked a lot about it in my personal statement, and also used it as one of my meaningful experiences. I ended up getting a DO letter from a doc I work with but not one from an MD at scribing, since I already have one from a doctor I shadowed previously. Is this a mistake? I know the MD who I shadowed knows me well, but I'm freaking out that MD program admissions will see the letter and wonder why I didn't get a LoR from scribing since I wrote so much about it. I didn't write about shadowing other than noting it in my activities section (not meaningful experience)

Thanks for any opinions! SDN's been super helpful for me

Members don't see this ad.

DId you scribe with the DO doc? If you listed scribing as one of your most meaningful experiences, then it would behoove you to obtain a letter regarding it to further flesh out your experience. From what I have heard, MD schools don't care about the degree of the physician. Only DO schools really care that you actually get a letter from a DO. I do not believe a letter from a DO will hurt your application for MD schools. Caveat I am not an ADCOM.

I ended up getting a DO letter from a doc I work with but not one from an MD at scribing, since I already have one from a doctor I shadowed previously. Is this a mistake? I know the MD who I shadowed knows me well, but I'm freaking out that MD program admissions will see the letter and wonder why I didn't get a LoR from scribing since I wrote so much about it. I didn't write about shadowing other than noting it in my activities section (not meaningful experience)

Thanks for any opinions! SDN's been super helpful for me
There are only a handful of MD schools that want anything to do with a shadowing/scribing letter of any type (RFU, the AZ schools, UT).
DO schools, in contrast, love a DO letter of any kind.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are only a handful of MD schools that want anything to do with a shadowing/scribing letter of any type (RFU, the AZ schools, UT).
DO schools, in contrast, love a DO letter of any kind.

University of Texas wants/likes shadowing/scribing LoRs?

Thanks for the responses!! This eases my worries quite a bit thank you :)