LOR Timing Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dazen

Clinical PhD Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

For those of you who have written letters of rec for grad school admissions, would you prefer to be asked earlier, or to be asked once the list of schools is finalized? It would probably be another two weeks before my list is fully finalized for a variety of personal reasons and I want to respect the time of my recommenders and be able to send them the most efficient request possible.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yep. I write more masters letters than for doc programs these days but same applies in my mind.

I prefer as soon as possible (So I can figure out what to write and make the time for a quality letter rather than a generic template). Then specifics as soon as you have them. Ideally for me at least 3 weeks before due. Ideally 4-6.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! I sent emails tonight asking professors for letters of rec, letting them know when I will have a finalized school list. Excited for this application process to really get underway.

Reactions: 1 user