LOR, what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mascot

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
quote.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm confused, does your school have a committee letter? If so that's all you need. As for how your school goes about making that letter, that's school specific. But if you have a committee letter, that will satisfy most MD schools' LOR requirements. If your school does not, that usually you need 2 science LORs and one non-science LOR.

The school will put together a committee letter for me. I dont need two science professor's LOR in this case?
I have about five other LORs, just only one of them is actually from the science professor I attended the class.

I'm confused, does your school have a committee letter? If so that's all you need. As for how your school goes about making that letter, that's school specific. But if you have a committee letter, that will satisfy most MD schools' LOR requirements. If your school does not, that usually you need 2 science LORs and one non-science LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
The school will put together a committee letter for me. I dont need two science professor's LOR in this case?
I have about five other LORs, just only one of them is actually from the science professor I attended the class.

In order for your school to put together a committee letter, they require certain LORs. Requirements are school specific, so you may or may not be required to turn in 2 science letters. Check with your school.

my school has already written a committee letter for me.
I dont know if the medical schools I am applying to will be asking for two individual letters from two science professors. Guess I'll make some calls, anyone has any idea?

my school has already written a committee letter for me.
I dont know if the medical schools I am applying to will be asking for two individual letters from two science professors. Guess I'll make some calls,
anyone has any idea?

Well, you didn't say what schools you were applying to so my guess is no one will have any idea. Every medical schools admission website will tell you what LORs are required.

Well, you didn't say what schools you were applying to so my guess is no one will have any idea. Every medical schools admission website will tell you what LORs are required.

Are these just what you "should" have, or what you "have" to have. For instance, I am a ChemE major and I haven't taken a non-science class in over 3 years and a couple schools that I was planning on applying to required that if you don't have a committee letter then you need a letter from science professors AND non-science professors. I think that is a little unfair because I don't want to just go ask some rando professor in the School of Liberal Arts for a letter. Should I just not even waste my time applying to these schools if I don't have a "non-science" letter, but have 2 science professors and 2 physicians and my manager writing me letter??