LOR writer not responding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhanaMeansFamily

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, friends! Posting here for the first time because I'm kind of desperate and need help.

I'm a junior applying in the 2018 cycle so I planned to ask my Spanish professor (took her class freshman year) for an LOR. She's written one for me before in freshman year and I've kept in contact with her through the years (though I haven't been in contact in person with her since spring 2017). She moved back to Spain over the summer though, and I tried emailing both her university and personal emails (1x each) to catch up with her and see if she could write me an LOR but she didn't respond to either for months. What should I do? I don't think that I could ask another faculty to write a letter, as I didn't do a good job maintaining relationships with my profs unfortunately. I'll definitely try emailing her again but any alternatives???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think that I could ask another faculty to write a letter

any alternatives???

You need 2 science and 1 non-science professors, a work/volunteer/extracurricular, (and a Doc letter if you plan to apply DO).

Time to work on those relationships with other faculty. You’ll need a letter.

You need 2 science and 1 non-science professors, a work/volunteer/extracurricular, (and a Doc letter if you plan to apply DO).

Time to work on those relationships with other faculty. You’ll need a letter.
I know that I need more rec letters (though I would disagree that I have to make them fit the breakdown you've said--I know enough people accepted into medical school who didn't have precisely 2 science faculty, 1 non-science faculty, etc.) and my other LOR writers are okay. I'm just concerned about this one, which I need from a faculty member. I don't want some random professor who doesn't know me writing my letter, and at this point it's becoming a little too late for me to begin working on relationships with faculty if I want to ask them for an LOR in February/March so that I have it on time in April for my composite/committee letter application.

Should I try to build a relationship in a hurry with a professor then? Or should I ask another person (not faculty, a volunteer coordinator) for an LOR?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that I need more rec letters (though I would disagree that I have to make them fit the breakdown you've said--I know enough people accepted into medical school who didn't have precisely 2 science faculty, 1 non-science faculty, etc.) and my other LOR writers are okay. I'm just concerned about this one, which I need from a faculty member. I don't want some random professor who doesn't know me writing my letter, and at this point it's becoming a little too late for me to begin working on relationships with faculty if I want to ask them for an LOR in February/March so that I have it on time in April for my composite/committee letter application.

Should I try to build a relationship in a hurry with a professor then? Or should I ask another person (not faculty, a volunteer coordinator) for an LOR?

Both.

Just as long as they will write you the letter you need (a positive one).

Hi, friends! Posting here for the first time because I'm kind of desperate and need help.

I'm a junior applying in the 2018 cycle so I planned to ask my Spanish professor (took her class freshman year) for an LOR. She's written one for me before in freshman year and I've kept in contact with her through the years (though I haven't been in contact in person with her since spring 2017). She moved back to Spain over the summer though, and I tried emailing both her university and personal emails (1x each) to catch up with her and see if she could write me an LOR but she didn't respond to either for months. What should I do? I don't think that I could ask another faculty to write a letter, as I didn't do a good job maintaining relationships with my profs unfortunately. I'll definitely try emailing her again but any alternatives???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with the above that you need more than just a spanish prof, I do know however, a lot of DO schools like non-science LORs. I'd also keep in mind and ask yourself if that prof is going to write you a meaningful letter. It is great to let schools know you can speak another language. Just ask yourself if she can comment on you work ethic, interest for medicine, and Spanish speaking abilities, especially with the time you haven't been in contact. Another thing is they just might not be interested in writing one anymore. (hoping this is not the case) GL

I’m not sure what you’re really asking for. It seems you just want people to tell you that’s OK to not get the letters that are required at a large majority of schools.

Sure, you could apply without all of the ones I mentioned. But you would be limited in what schools you can apply to.

Most require 2 sci + 1 humanities.
Many require 2 sci + 1 humanities or 1 EC.
Others yet require 2 sci + 1 humanities + 1 Physician.
There’s even a school or two that require 1 bio + 1 chem + 1 physics + 1 humanities.

From a school’s perspective, your ability to get strong letters now is indicative of your ability to get strong letters when it comes time to apply for residency. Not getting a humanities letter would be your choice, but won’t help you and will limit where you can apply. Lukewarm or poor letters will sink your medical school application. It sounds like your Spanish teacher’s letter would be lukewarm if you end up getting it in the end.

Build relationships with the people I mentioned in my previous post and get letters from them. Have backup people in case they fall through or seem unenthusiastic. A multi-month lack of response is rather unenthusiastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I don’t know why you posted since you seem to think you know more than most people. Most schools do require a specific breakdown of letters or a Committee letter. But whatever...

As to the Spanish teacher-I’d look for someone else. Your teacher might not feel comfortable writing a letter at this time. She hasn’t taught you in several years and she’s no longer associated with your university. Spend some time thinking about a teacher who you might ask. Even if you don’t currently have a close relationship maybe you could cultivate one over the next few months. Maybe even sign up for a class taught by this person.

Reactions: 1 users
Almost all of the 23 schools I applied to did not consider my application complete until they had two letters from science faculty, you may want to be careful before you spend thousands on primary and secondary fees only to have your application not even looked at (literally).

This may be different for you since you have a committee, but for people that don't, not following the letter requirements listed by schools is a very dumb idea.

Reactions: 1 user

First, sounds like you want other people to have same opinion as yours. I thought you needed to know what people think and to have an advice.

Most schools require committee letter and letter from a physician. Or 2-3 science prof. letters in place of a committee.

It is your responsibility to make relationships. That's a part of the application process and being a good candidate.

You have plenty of time before next application cycle to make or strengthen relationships.
I don't want some random professor who doesn't know me writing my letter,
Like if they will write for someone they do not know.

I didn't do a good job maintaining relationships with my profs unfortunately.
Relationships can be renewed and/or rebuilt. Time to start with that. If you can't figure out a way to reconnect with your old professors, it may behoove you to do a DIY post-bacc and develop relationships with new professors who can write you some LORs.

I asked 2 people i barely knew "could you write a brief and limited LOR" both said yes and I have 3 admits
I'm happy for you, but your case is by no means the norm. Future applicants would be foolish to use this as Plan A.

100p I'm saying there are more tactful ways of making your argument than insulting someone for succeeding without taking your advices

While I agree ideally you should know your professors well, I don't think it's strictly necessary to know your professors well. Don't let it hold you back from applying.
There was no insult. That approach worked for you and it will work for others. But using it as your primary strategy is foolish (and we all do foolish things sometimes). And I don't particularly care if anyone follows my advice. My own career is the one I care most about, and it's right on track.

There was no insult. That approach worked for you and it will work for others. But using it as your primary strategy is foolish (and we all do foolish things sometimes). And I don't particularly care if anyone follows my advice. My own career is the one I care most about, and it's right on track.
I was literally in this situation and took an extra humanities class, and got great rep with the teacher. You could do that this semester worst case